Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
82 user(s) are online (46 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 81

BDeB, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 ... 46 »

Re: Resurrecting a 1951 Henney-Packard Parts Car
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Update: It seems that most exhaust system makers are unable to make this pipe because it has many small bends that are relatively close together. These shops apparently use a mandrel bender so I need to find one that can do 3-roller bending. I wrote to one in Clackamas, OR but no reply yet. Of the 16+ shops I contacted, there were three or four that never replied and those that did said no other than one who has said they are studying it and will get back to me.

Posted on: 2020/6/16 18:42
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Borla East never responded? That kind of job is right up their alley. 908 236 6400 for the parent company, Automotive Restorations. Owner is Steve Babinsky, also current President of the CCCA.

Posted on: 2020/6/16 18:55
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
They were one of these that never responded so I've written them off. Because I'm virtually deaf and rely on email, I have certain expectations that people are serious about their business and will reply to inquiries!

Posted on: 2020/6/16 19:55
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The are one of the most prestigious restoration shops in the country and have been for many years so you can be certain they are serious about their business. Are you sure you had a correct email address? I know Steve fairly well, would you like me to make contact on your behalf?

Posted on: 2020/6/16 20:01
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Dave, I truly appreciate the offer and got the address directly from their site so I'm happy to leave it at that for now. If nothing else works out - preferably some place closer (this pipe is VERY long!) - I'll try again but now that I know to look for someone with 3-roller capabilities the search shouldn't be difficult.

Posted on: 2020/6/16 20:06
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Brian Wilson
See User information
Don

I had a similar problem with making replacement headers for one of my Repco V8 Formula 1 race engines. Too many curves too close together for mandrel bending, and much tighter tolerances to make them fit the collectors when bolted up.

They used to make these headers by sand bending, but nobody I could find alive would take it on. The answer came from an old race car constructor. Build it in sections using mandrel bends then weld it all together (very carefully). Given the size of the piece you are trying to make, that might be a practical solution, but unlikely the mandrel bending jockeys will take it on by themselves.

Does anybody know how Packard originally made these pipes? Most likely with conventional 3-way pipe benders. Sand bending was far too laborious and costly even then - except for race cars - but could produce much more accurate shapes.

If you can find a fabricator who will take it on, 3-way bending is almost certainly the most cost-effective solution.

What I describe above might be a good fallback if all else fails, but you'd need to find a pretty good welder to get a quality result. And be prepared to empty your pockets!

Cheers

Brian

Posted on: 2020/6/17 1:19
1941 120 Club Coupe (SOLD)
1956 Clipper Deluxe (RHD and auto) - for the wife, or so I told her!
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
These cars were hand-built in very limited numbers but I expect that the chassis arrived assembled with engine, driveline, exhaust and front clip including the firewall. Interestingly, the blueprint specified a wall thickness of 18g or about .050" for the pipe which seems thin and the more commonly available pipe today is .065". Seems a tiny amount but I imagine that it could make a difference in some way in volume over its length.

As for piecing and welding it together, I had thought of it but this pipe is over 10.5' long and I would rather not have to go that route even if there is absolutely no other way.

Posted on: 2020/6/17 1:43
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
Is the rear section of the tailpipe similar to other Packards to use it and just add a section in to lengthen it?

Posted on: 2020/6/17 8:17
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
No, not even close but I had thought of that before I got the blueprint. The professional coaches have a full-width gas tank and no spare tire well so the pipe has a couple interesting bends and jogs to run along the frame while the passenger car's runs straight out between the well and the tank.

Posted on: 2020/6/17 11:40
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information

Posted on: 2020/6/17 14:39
 Top  Print 

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 ... 46 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved