Happy St. Patty's Day and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
27 user(s) are online (19 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 27

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Bottom Bottom   Previous Topic Previous Topic   Next Topic Next Topic   Register To PostTopic is Locked

(1) 2 3 4 ... 52 »

Mal's '41 120 Coupe
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Thought I'd share my '41 120 Coupe Project.

This came about because I've wanted a Packard Coupe for over 40 years, from the time I saw a '37 sitting in a gas station for sale but being young and poor, couldn't afford to buy it. So with career, marriage, family, home ownership and now retirement the time and opportunity, not to mention the financial means, finally aligned.

Now in Australia, as opposed to the USA, Packards are comparatively rare and so about 3 months ago I saw a '29 626 Coupe coming up at a local Classic Car type auction I thought this may be my opportunity to purchase a Packard Coupe although not a '37. So after being outbid at the auction I contacted the Packard Automobile Club of Australia and after inquiring about membership asked whether there was anyone with a Packard for sale and was told of a guy with 2 for sale!

So after contacting Peter, one of the nicest people you could meet, I purchased his '38 dual sidemount 120 Sedan and again although not a '37 coupe it is a Packard! Car was on historic vehicle registration but I have put it on to full street registration to gain the benefit of driving it when and where I want.

Purchase of the '38 fueled my interest leading to the AACA forum & packardinfo.com and not to mention ebay and it's delights, I'd previously had no use for the information superhighway but now I drive it daily. Now I was really into it and through ebay gained an insight of the comparative abundance of Packard availability in the USA as opposed to Australia.

In ebay, I was like a kid in a candy shop, with enquiries directed to the sellers of many pre '42 Packards. Then from a post on this forum a member told of the '38 coupe he intended to purchase. I made contact with the forum member and suggested that if he didn't follow through with the '38 could he think of me. Well naturally the reply came back - NO - and that he fully intended to pursue the car. However not long later he further responded that as I was so keen he would forego this opportunity and let me have the chance to purchase the '38 coupe. Sorry to say I wasn't able to buy the car but I'll always be indebted to Tad for his generosity in this instance.

Then, a little later in ebay, there appeared a '41 120 coupe in Idaho and which from the pictures and commentary appeared to be a nice car. I contacted the seller and after many emails and the seller providing many more pictures, this time being of potential body rust areas, I was prepared to bid and buy the car.

Now I've bought a number of items over ebay in the last few months but not a car with only pictures to go on. So it was with some trepidation that I began bidding and in the end was the successful bidder. Because part of my correspondence with owner revolved around how I could pay for the car an agreement was struck whereby I paid a non-refundable deposit of USD500.00 with the balance to be paid by 3rd August and a very generous offer by the seller that if the car didn't meet my expectations I could opt out of the remainder of the deal.

Having won the car this hastened my planned retirement which I brought forward to 20th July. It also hastily put into place a trip to inspect and pay for the car as well as a whirlwind tour of the USA following settlement of the purchase. Also, I found a shipper through uship who could transport the '41 from Idaho to Los Angeles.

So after retiring on the 20th I arrived in San Francisco on the 23th July and then Boise Idaho on the 24th. Inspection of the '41 as well as a test drive, convinced me that in fact the '41 was even better than represented, so there were no qualms in closing the deal.

I then had the opportunity to visit the owner of the '41 from 1960 to 2006, a dentist. This owner has 10, count them 10, other Packards for sale - see my reply in the forum re this.

Now for the shipper, inquiries late on the 24th revealed that the trailer had blown 2 tires running over debris on the road that day which, coupled with illness to the lady in the partnership had slowed their progress to Idaho. However they expressed their confidence in arriving on the afternoon of the 25th. So the wait began. With their non show by early evening I contacted and left messages on their cell. When they responded it was to advise they'd be there in about an hour as another tire had blown on the trailer and it only had 3 wheels on it now! They eventually arrived about 8:30pm whereupon they said we must think they look like hillbillies, and truer words couldn't have been said. Although doubts were in my mind as to entrusting my prized Packard to their custody and their assurances that it would be safe with them for the trip to Los Angeles, confirmed by an email next day with a reference to Mr S & W being available for security purposes although I didn't think bullet holes would enhance the '41's appearance!

I later learned, that Randy (a real nice bloke and the seller of the car) had had a call from the shippers and they were 4 hours into the trip to LA, and this time had burned out a wheel-bearing on the trailer. I should mention that, fortunately for the shippers, Randy worked at a RV manufacturer and was able to supply the shippers with 2 brand new wheels and tires for the trailer at an extremely good price!

So as I was winging my way round the USA, with thoughts of who knows what might happen to the '41, visiting Joel(Packards1)with his '56's and the Henry Ford in Detroit, the Packard Museum in Warren Ohio, the Smithsonian and a Washington Nationals game in DC - had to see one MLB game while I was in the USA, the Don Garlits Museum in Florida(my hot rod/drag racing background from 35/45 years ago coming through - and for anyone with an interest in drag racing this place is amazing with many famous, historic and trend setting cars from the past on display and apart from the Packards was the highlight of my trip) and RedRon with his '40 120 sedan and the Petersen Museum in LA, the '41 made it's way to LA arriving on the 29th July without further mishap. Although at this point the shipper told the people at the delivery point the car didn't run (although it had been driven onto the trailer in Idaho) and he was instructed on the simplicity of re-connecting the battery cable at the end of the trip to enable it to start and run. However now being amongst car guys this was soon sorted out.

On my arrival in LA on the 3rd August, I went and saw the '41 and left some Packard parts I'd been dragging around with me in it for shipment back to Australia.

So now that I'm back in Oz there are matters to attend to regarding the export from the USA and the import into Australia - these I'll update as they progress and I'll also add pic's when I work out how to do that, or more probably my son works it out for me.

Posted on: 2007/8/6 2:42
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com

Re: Mal's '41 120 Coupe
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Link to photos of '38 & '41 below

http://picasaweb.google.com/ozstatman/From38To41

Posted on: 2007/8/9 17:41
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
To import a car privately into Australia an Import Permit must be issued by the Australian Department of Transport and Regional Services. I applied for mine today by faxing the application form, copy of my drivers license, copy of the bill of sale and copy of the clear title to the Department for the '41 Coupe, and all going well, the permit should be issued by the end of August.
Conversely a car must have a clear title to be exported from the USA. Without a clear title US Customs will not permit it's export.
So the regulatory authorities at both ends of the chain have their fingers in the pie.

Posted on: 2007/8/13 0:26
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Had a call on the 13th August from the outfit shipping the '41 to Australia for me. They needed to know it's value for US export purposes and advised that the '41 should be loaded on a ship by the end of last week. So all going well the '41 is now on board and depending on departure time and the trip taking 21/22 days to Newcastle the '41 could arrive about mid September. As Newcastle is about 100 miles north of Sydney when the '41 arrives I'll be driving up to inspect it and arrange for it's transportation home, may even drive it if I can obtain an "Unregistered Vehicle Permit" which is valid for 28 days. Will further update as info comes to hand or things happen.

Posted on: 2007/8/21 19:58
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Glad to see you making progress and will keep my fingers crossed that you can drive it home. Take a lot of pictures.

Posted on: 2007/8/21 21:00

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Progress -

The Coupe was shipped from California at the end of last week bound for Newcastle Australia and it's expected arrival date is 20 to 25th September.

Part of the import process is obtaining a Vehicle Import Permit which the Department of Transportation and Regional Services advises was approved yesterday 28th August. This is a relief because if a car arrives in Australia without a Vehicle Import Permit there are severe penalties which can be applied including criminal prosecution of the owner and destruction of the car at the owners expense! Whew - looks like I'll be able to clear this bureaucratic hurdle at least.

Still to come though is the Customs & Quarantine inspection on arrival. This is looking for build-ups of foreign soil and plant matter under the vehicle as well as rodent or other infestations. If any signs of these are found, cleaning and fumigation of the vehicle is done by Customs & Quarantine and the costs incurred are charged to the owner. Should be OK as the previous owner cleaned the underside of the car for me and the upholstered areas look good.

A little aside. I rang another member of the Packard Automobile Club of Australia last Saturday to be told he was currently driving his new acquisition, a '37 Super 8 Sedan, down the freeway from Newcastle a distance of some 100+ miles and it was going beautifully. This bloke had bought the car off eBay where it had been in a museum in the US since the early 60's and has only about 23,000 original miles on it. Reason I add this is because he imported it through the same shipper I'm using so it gives me some confidence.

Below is a link to pictures of the '41 as I first saw it in Idaho together with other pictures of it in California and some other cars, all Packards except one, and their owners who I met on my US trip.

http://picasaweb.google.com/ozstatman/41120CoupeAndOtherPackardsInUSA

Posted on: 2007/8/28 19:29
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Update

Sent an email to the shipper importing the coupe on Thursday 20th September. He replied that a total of 9 cars have arrived, including the coupe, in 3 containers. He also advised that Australian Customs are currently processing the paperwork for these vehicles and he is waiting for them to advise him of their costs. Once these costs are known and the car owners are contacted he will then be very busy over the next few days unloading them.

Once I hear, I will then be able to arrange for transport from Newcastle as I believe it is too far to drive, being 100+ miles, because I am unfamiliar with the car (A test drive in Idaho at moderate speeds notwithstanding).

When car is picked up for Transport from Newcastle to Sydney I will be present and will take pictures and post a link to them here.

Also in the time since I returned from the US part of my activity has been readying my garage so it can now accommodate 2 Packards. This involved basically clearing the floor area at the far end - the garage is approximately 52' long but had been partitioned off at the back end to provide another room with a built in wardrobe backing onto the dividing wall. This leaves about 35' of tandem garage and so I have relocated a large wide shelf which previously hung longways to the backend and sideways with an old kitchen cabinet on one side wall and another shelf about 20' feet long and 1&1/2' wide under an existing high level shelf. On the other side I installed 10' long high and low shelves and another deeper 12' long shelf. This combined, with my eldest son taking his 2 couches and large table we had been storing for him, enabled me to relocate the other stuff off the floor area. Then disaster struck. I had a slim table and a wide bench which I placed down one wall(these 2 items will be gone soon - but not soon enough) and while trying to drive the '38 Eight down to the far end clipped the wide bench which resulted in some damage and paint loss to the left front fender just behind the front wheel. Goes to show I'll have to be very careful in my manoeveuring/parking in the garage in future.

Posted on: 2007/9/21 20:28
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Well the Coupe arrived on Friday 28th September at 2:00pm approximately!

Prior to this, on Tuesday evening I received an email from the importer requesting bank cheques for his charges as well as those of his customs agent.

So on Wednesday, after I gave blood in the morning, in the afternoon my wife Kath and I drove to North Belmont a distance of about 85 miles. As we arrived at the importers property, Barry Smith was backing his car trailer in to pick up the '51 Convertible which had been imported for him. I took some photos for him of his '51 as well as a few of the '41. Barry said that although the '51 has a 327 he is going to drop in a rebuilt 327, the 4bbl version, and with the 3 speed manual and overdrive expects to have his own version of a hotted up Packard using all in-house parts.

But back to the '41 - looked just like I had last seen it in California on 3rd August. I had brought a recharged battery with me, because the importer advised it wouldn't start when they were taking it out of the container. After replacing the battery and with a little gas down the throat of the carb to prime it, it started easily although I didn't take it for a drive, it sounded good and ran well. Then with Barry's '51 loaded up and on the journey to it's new home in country New South Wales at Tamworth, about 200 plus miles north west from North Belmont, we concluded our business and Kath and I returned to Sydney.

I had also contacted a haulage contractor with a tilt bed truck and booked him to pick up the '41 on Friday from North Belmont and deliver to me that day. I had also decided that pick up of the '41 didn't require my presence so I anxiously awaited it's arrival which occurred about 2:00pm. One thing I noticed while it was on the tilt tray was a small "ding" at the bottom of the right rear fender - looks like it could be in-transit damage, but where and when this occurred between Middleton Idaho via Orange California and Newcastle and North Belmont, New South Wales, Australia I don't know!

Backed the '41 off the tilt tray and up the driveway and into the front of the cleared garage. Then, after the truckie had left, took some pictures of it in the garage. Then drove it out to take more pictures in the natural light and with my '38. However, then couldn't start the '41 which had run out of gas as the tank had been almost drained for safety reasons before being placed in the container for the trip to Australia. A couple of gallons of gas later and with Kath directing me into the garage in my LHD '41 and I was off again. As you married men will know, it is generally not a good idea to involve your better half in such an activity - but enough said! Parked both cars in the garage, which I now find needs to be at least a foot longer than it is to accommodate both!

Therefore, my next project must be relocation of the workbench from the back wall of the garage to the side wall(this will involve some major surgery to the workbench because of intruding buttresses at awckward intervals along this wall). I will also have to re-swing the door from the garage to the back room so it opens into the room and not the garage. This way I'll be able to accommodate both cars in the garage and still have access to the back room.

But again back to the '41. Strange, how after the initial adrenalin burst has worn off, some things appear that you didn't previously notice. Like heavier pitting of the chrome around the headlights, handbrake almost inoperative and shock absorbers needing replacement. This besides some of the known - radio missing knobs and not working, overdrive not working, king pins need replacement as well as windscreen wipers. And the unknown - Condition of engine, clutch, transmission, rear end, brakes, cooling system, steering and lights - did I leave anything out? I didn't mention the body as this looks good to my very untrained eye and I am hopeful that it is OK - there will just be some cosmetics with rechroming of the bumpers and over-riders as the major item.

Below are 2 links:

First - pictures of the '41 & '51 Convertible

http://picasaweb.google.com/ozstatman/BarrySmith51Convertible

Second - pictures of the '41's arrival

http://picasaweb.google.com/ozstatman/41Arrives

Will further update as the '41's mechanicals are assessed and work undertaken.

Attach file:

jpg  (52.59 KB)
226_48d959c025d91.jpg 720X540 px

Posted on: 2007/9/28 2:36
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tom (Packin31)
See User information
Mal,

Congrats to you it made it there in one piece. Good luck with her. Another good looking car :)

Posted on: 2007/9/28 5:52
Tom
1931 833 468 Coupe
Packard Registry|1931 Project Blog

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Thankyou Tom,

But it seems to me you're up very late or up very early to be commenting at this time. At least I have an excuse, being in a completely different time zone across the International Date Line!

Posted on: 2007/9/28 6:14
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

(1) 2 3 4 ... 52 »

Register To PostTopic is Locked

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved