Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
185 user(s) are online (127 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 184

BDeB, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 ... 11 »

Re: Kool Kojak 1951 Packard 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan Project Blog!!!!!
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Trans filter is a very fine metallic mesh, you don't replace it, you remove, clean, and reinstall.

Posted on: 2010/3/23 18:57
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

portlandon
See User information
Quote:
what do u guys think? do i need to replace the filter? im gunna try to clean it out first.

Like you said, cleaning it out first is the way to go. Replacing it if it's too far gone is your next option.

Posted on: 2010/3/23 20:56
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Jim
See User information
KK wrote: "Rachel, get under the car!!"

I believe you will need to carefully and concisely document this process for the good of all Packard owners. Hank has documented building his Ultramatic, you must provide a step by step collage of Wrency Rachel servicing your shifty shift.

My wife handed me a wrench... once. JK
Jim

Posted on: 2010/3/24 0:47
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

koolkojak
See User information
haha!

welll, after a haphazard day yesterday, oil spills and a jack mishap....

the Hi range is back to stay.. might be the linkage, still - its so loose!

,,,, we are planning on cleaning out the tranny filter (haha)

but on to bigger issues---- if i get a flat in the rear im frigged, cuz the 3" lowering blocks prevent tire removal.

so im thinking maybe go air suspension.... for the dropped look while not sacrificing safety .

also going to shave handles, and put it auto door opener,,,,,
and a sound system!!! and alarm

gotta find the right wheels..... or hubcaps.

Any siggestions?? I kinda like Packard wire wheels - expensive, and also very fat looking . not paht, just chunky.... not sleek

i'd go with Packard hubpcaps but the ones i have seen are very clunky , not sleek.

i dont really want to keep the standard rat rod - red steel wheel look. too cliche and not classy enough for a Packard Touring Sedan.

Posted on: 2010/3/24 22:47
1951 Packard 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
I'd say you just learned what everyone in the 50's learned - you can't remove a tire with too big of a lowering block. It is also a testament to Ultramatics that they could suffer thru gear oil and who knows what else and still work! Wotta transmission!
You didn't elaborate on the jack mishap, BUT buy some jack stands, use them and whatever you do - don't damage Rachel. Good wrenches are hard to find.

Posted on: 2010/3/24 22:57
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Jim
See User information
KK, I gotta ask, and I am sure you guys know this already, but are you jacking it up under the frame or the rear end? If the rear end, then you need to try the frame just in front of the spring hanger. This allows the spring to relax and the rear end to drop way down, kinda the same as when you lift with a bumper jack. I apologize if this is redundant.

On another note, I am taking the poppers outa my 58 Chevy. I believe they are the stronger pull ones because they pull on the stock door latch assemblies. They work very well, I am just not a door popper kinda guy, and it kinda leaves the car to bear and slab-sided. Anyway, if you are interested, I will have the parts in late next week and will begin installing the door handles & etc. so the poppers will be available.

Jim

Posted on: 2010/3/25 0:32
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

koolkojak
See User information
Jim .... let me know when them poppers are out and about

are they hooked to your beepbeep lock remote?

thanks

here's a great Packard commercial that was never released.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oavMtUWDBTM

AS FOR the question regarding the rear (hahah) wheels,

i dont know how Richy jacked up the car, but i would assume it was by the frame. but then again... we pride ourselves in pride .

mechanics love my car. they bug out to the flat 8,

IM PUTTING A CHERRY BOMB GLASS PACK ON THE EXHAUST

Packard purists across the globe just went to the bathroom in their rumbleseats

Posted on: 2010/3/25 15:20
1951 Packard 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

portlandon
See User information
Quote:
here's a great Packard commercial that was never released.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oavMtUWDBTM

LOL.

This is the new Rick Roll'd. The Trololo guy.

Classic.

Posted on: 2010/3/25 17:05
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Jim
See User information
KK & Gerd, man I gotta party with you two. Where does everyone come up with this stuff? I couldn't even think of this stuff no less figure out what to key into youtube. Someday we just have to get a world wide Packard party going. Maybe the PI event next year?

Anyway, KK they are wired to some buttons under the rockers and under the dash. I am not real thrilled with the set up. Anyway, the door handles arrived today, and the rest should be on it's way soon. I will hook you up when the rest comes in.

You know, here's the deal with the things you are doing to your car:
1. It's your car do as you please.
2. You are putting a car back on the road that otherwise might have been scrapped.
3. It's not a custom bodied or open car, it's a car that was widely produced.
4. You are having fun.
5. Young people doing anything with Packard's is a good thing.
6. Did I mention it is your car?

Really, I am 99% purest. Like your Packard, I have some fun car(s) that were mass produced and don't feel bad about some mods. My 58 Chevy is such a vehicle. It is supped up with 3 deuces and a 4 speed and lots of period speed equipment. Lots of fun! Would I do that to an Impala convertible? No probably not. Would we do this to a Caribbean convertible, or a Darrin convertible? No, not likely.

I lurk around some of the hotrod sites and I have to say, for as much as the hotrod / modifiers like to work their magic, they are also very conscious of significant and low production vehicles and are very respectful of preserving them. I really respect that. Frankly, I think you are having a lot of fun, and I am having fun following your progress. While you may be right, someone is pooping in their rumble seat, I would ask them: are you willing to buy a 4 door 51 200 and flawlessly restore it? Would you do it if you knew it was going to the crusher? Sadly, those giving you all that sage advise would likely answer no to both of those questions.

So with all that said, I salute you for saving this Packard and putting it in front of the public and most of all, having fun!

Jim

Posted on: 2010/3/26 2:24
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
I really agree with Jim on that one. None of my Packards may be pure, but they were all plentiful models and would have been made into toasters by now. Further, any Packard still on the street is a Packard on the street and atracts interest to the marque. There is hardly a member of my local Packard region that has a statistical snowball's chance of being alive in 20 years. Go for it KK, and have a lot of fun.

Posted on: 2010/3/26 7:27
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 ... 11 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved