Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
128 user(s) are online (79 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 127

Packard Don, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 »

Re: Packard gas tank sending unit
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
No problem; all we care about is the resistance and this unit is correct for 51-56.

Posted on: 2011/4/22 17:17
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Sender resistance is the same--approx 80 ohms empty, 10 full. Packard used the same sender 52-56 and slightly different arm for 51 but resistance was the same. On Packards, the gauge voltage was regulated down to around 5v. Ford probably did something similar.

Posted on: 2011/4/22 17:20
Howard
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

CleverScreenName
See User information
So I know this thread is a few years old but just wanted to thank everyone for the info herein, and add my 2 cents.

Needed a sending unit for my 53, and wanted to use the new replacement unit from Kanters, but was told they are on indefinite back order. After reading through this thread I decided to take a chance on the FG97a from Spectre. It was only like $60.00 at Amazon!Had to do a tiny amount of trimming to the plate on the unit but otherwise it was fairly straight forward.

Haven't run it down to empty yet, but it seems to be registering about right so far.More concerned about it registering empty correctly than full. If I run into any problems down the road I will update.

Posted on: 2017/11/12 20:18
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Brinegar
See User information
But, I need one for my 1948 2262 - Will this one work ?

Posted on: 2020/3/9 17:23
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:

John Brinegar wrote:
But, I need one for my 1948 2262 - Will this one work ?

No, 53 uses a straight resistance type sender where the value of a resistor changes depending on fuel level.

48-50 models appear to be the only years that used a thermal type sender where a heater works a bimetal strip to open and close contacts to provide a solid ground to the gauge unit. The frequency and duration of the on/off pulses or ground connection changes depending upon how much the float adds or subtracts pressure to the bimetal strip. Another heater in the gauge unit moves the needle proportionally depending on how long the sender keeps the heater on and how long it is off and cooling between pulses.

Best option is to have the original sender repaired if it hasn't rusted away or is beyond repair. If it cannot be fixed then finding NOS or good used is the best other option at the moment. No idea if KM Lifestyles has new or has managed to repro that sender but worth asking. Note there were two senders. One is for a 17 gallon tank and the other is for the 20 gallon. Not sure how hard or if it is possible to make it read correctly if the wrong sender is used. Some Ford products of the era used the same type senders but I don't know if they are any easier to find or will fit the Packard tanks. There have been experiments in trying to find and make a modern resistance unit work but as far as I know there has not been a truly successful substitute found.

Posted on: 2020/3/9 17:49
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike Chirco
See User information
John , I have a sender for your 48. Mike Chirco , Tucson Packard

Posted on: 2020/3/9 19:40
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Brinegar
See User information
Send details and price Mike - thanks

Posted on: 2020/3/9 21:23
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Brinegar
See User information
Anyone have a NOS Packard sending unit - Thanks

Posted on: 2020/3/20 14:59
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Brinegar
See User information
Howard - Do you have a sender like this or know of one - Thanks ?

Posted on: 2020/3/22 22:11
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I may have one but it is the 17 gal version. There appears to be two senders -- one for a 17 gal and the other for a 20 gal tank. They may not easily interchange because I expect due to tank size there is a difference in calibration.

Unknown if any difference in the offset motion at the end of the float arm working the mechanism would be where the calibration change would be done or if it was all done with the overall length of the float rod. If at the mechanism end, not an easy fix without a good chance of ruining the sender. If the overall rod length then maybe a fixable difference. How deep is your tank?

Posted on: 2020/3/23 14:03
Howard
 Top  Print 

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved