Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
226 user(s) are online (148 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 226

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 »

Re: Radial or Bias Ply Tires???
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Quote:

PackardV8 wrote:
The difference is a stamped safety bead that runs radialy around the wheel near the outer flange of the 1980 Dodge wheel. The OEM 56 Packard wheel does not have it.

Keith, are you sure about that? My '54 rims have the safety bead, and they are discussed in the Owner Manual for my '54:

Attach file:

jpg  (16.16 KB)
1_4cb9351d49343.jpg 479X151 px

jpg  (23.15 KB)
1_4cb93525a5065.jpg 473X325 px

Posted on: 2010/10/16 0:17
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
My OEM '56 Packard wheels had the safety bead as well. I think my '48 doesn't, but I'd have to double check that.

Posted on: 2010/10/16 0:31
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
I'll try to double check that today. The picture of the safety bead on the 54 Packard wheel seems to be set closer to the CL of the wheel while the 80 Dodge wheel i have the bead is much closer to the outer flange.

I'll look at the 56 Executive wheel closer today and maybe wheigh it too.

Peculiar note in the 54 owners manual that Kevin displayed above:

It seems to state reasoning for the safety bead of the stamped wheel followed by a statement about a band for the wire wheel to prevent spoke puncture. TWO seperate issues there.
It somewhat begs the question:
Does the wire wheel have the safety bead too?????

Posted on: 2010/10/16 6:33
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
I'll weigh my Executive (same as 56 JUNIOR) wheel today. Maybe wheels without safety bead are heavier gauge than wheels WITH safety bead. I'll also check closer for the safety bead on the Exec wheel as per the 54 owners manual diagram.

Posted on: 2010/10/16 6:41
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

harold michaels
See User information
I would also suggest to check the date of manufacture of bias-ply.and in particular doing any business with Universal Tire. I recently purchased a set of Lesters from Universal. I asked them to check the date and send the latest date of manufacture. when I received them ,the date was 1998. when I called Universal, they basicly told me to pound salt that 1998 is the latest date of manufacture

Posted on: 2010/10/27 11:58
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
Hal, Thanks for the tip. I was considering Lesters (cheaper than Coker) from Universal Tire. Not so sure now.

Posted on: 2010/10/27 12:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
These kind of stories tell a much broader story if one is curious enuf to start asking difficult questions.

If 1998 is the "latest" build date of the tires from this particular vendor then that implies any or all of the following:

1. Apparently re-pop tires are much less popular among vintage tin owners than any of us realize.

2. When was the last time the vendor actualy had a run of tyres made?????

3. Of course, regardless of customer request vendors tend to clear out their oldest stock and use any excuse.

--*-- An interesting analysis on this mite be to start a POLL both here and at other web sites such as AACA discussion Forums.

The poll would request owners of re-pop tyres to list the date on the tire(s) and approximate date they were purchased.

It would be interesting to see the results.

It would also be interesting to see, if by and large, identicle tires sent to say a 55 Chevy owner got later tires than a 55 Packard owner.

Don't be surprised if re-pop tires as well as many other re-pop parts become "offshored" for manufacture in the very near future. I can tell many incidences of such offshore re-pop parts relative to other brands.

Posted on: 2010/10/27 15:33
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Such a poll would need to list the following:

1. Date on tires.
2. Date of purchase (approximate).
3. model make and year of car the tires were ordered for.

Posted on: 2010/10/27 15:37
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Quote:

BigKev wrote:
Quote:

PackardV8 wrote:
The difference is a stamped safety bead that runs radialy around the wheel near the outer flange of the 1980 Dodge wheel. The OEM 56 Packard wheel does not have it.

Keith, are you sure about that? My '54 rims have the safety bead, and they are discussed in the Owner Manual for my '54:

Kev, and 1954 would be the first year Packard offered tubless tires. This was an industry first. Maybe the safety beaded rims were offered along with the tubeless tires as an additonal safety factor?

(o{I}o)

Posted on: 2010/10/27 16:34
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
Quote:

Kev, and 1954 would be the first year Packard offered tubless tires. This was an industry first. Maybe the safety beaded rims were offered along with the tubeless tires as an additonal safety factor?

(o{I}o)

Safety Rim Wheels were first mentioned for the 24th Series in the March 1951 Service Counselor as starting to be supplied on some 300's and Patrician 400's and at a later date on 200 Models.
Only the Safety wheels were to be used when the stock on present design was exhausted, but it apparently took quite a while for this to happen as I recently found the older type wheels on a late production 1955 Patrician.

Posted on: 2010/10/27 17:39
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved