Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
210 user(s) are online (141 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 208

moodydavid16, Ozstatman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

wiring harness for 22nd series deluxe 8 sedan
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

kelly brickey
See User information
Anybody out there ever made their own harness? There aren't that many wires. The gauge wire necessary made be difficult
to attain, I suppose. Just wondered if anyone had atempted it, and how it turned out...
Thanks, Kelly

Posted on: 2012/3/5 4:54
 Top  Print   

Re: wiring harness for 22nd series deluxe 8 sedan
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I've made a few using modern plastic wire and vinyl tape type harness wrap. That style wouldn't be appropriate for your car but if you are not concerned about authenticity, then easy enough to do. Another option if not worried about authenticity is a universal wiring harness. Several here have gone that route. One place sells a "heavy duty" version they advertise as appropriate for 6 volt cars.

I more or less copied the method shown on one of the harness sites. Instead of pegboard as shown in the "about us" section on the Rhode Island wiring site, I laid out the old harness more or less to the proper configuration on a piece of plywood. Used nails instead of pegs to make a saddle or support at numerous spots as they had done. Removed the old wrap and started replacing wires one at a time. Some of the old connectors can be reused by drilling out the old wire, cleaning connector and soldering in the new. Others will have to be replaced.

In your case, I believe you can buy the proper fabric covered wire from several places & make your harness adding any extra wires you wanted. Some would let you send the completed harness back and they would run it thru the braiding machine for a small fee. Don't know if that is still an option.

Posted on: 2012/3/5 10:01
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
Quote:

HH56 wrote:
I've made a few using modern plastic wire and vinyl tape type harness wrap. That style wouldn't be appropriate for your car...

The modern plastic wire wouldn't look right to a judge, but the 22nd/23rd series did use the 'tape wrap' style harness. I know because I've unwrapped/re-wrapped a lot of it to replace badly frayed, or insulation-less sections of wiring with modern plastic style wire (under the hood) on both my 'tubs.

Posted on: 2012/3/5 10:58
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Good to know. I never paid much attention but thought they had used braided up till 51. If that's the case then just buying the appropriate wires would be the main issue. The rest would be fairly easy.

Posted on: 2012/3/5 11:10
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fred Puhn
See User information
The reason I bought a repro loom from Rhode Island Wiring is to get the proper colors back. On my 23rd series the age made all the colors fade to black. When I replaced the main harness I carefully disassembled it and removed it in one piece. This helped me a great deal when I installed the new harness.

Posted on: 2012/3/6 15:44
Fred Puhn
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved