Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
157 user(s) are online (102 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 155

humanpotatohybrid, TxGoat, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

Choosing the car with the right stuff
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Lionel
See User information
As some of you might already know I have been searching for an 8 cylinder Packard for the 2016 Peking to Paris Rally. Thus far, I have been fortunate with lots of good and valuable feedback. I just received an email form one of the coordinators for the Endurance Rally Association suggesting that the car I select should be a late '30's 6 cylinder vehicle. He further indicate that the 8 cylinder car are much heavier, gas consumption, and steering on hard corners makes the car more challenging.

Can someone provide input on the reliability and drivability of the 6 cylinder versus the 8 cylinder Packard?

I do prefer the 8 cylinder, yet I need to make sure that I choose the right car.

I appreciate yours response. Dave, are we still on for the Mecum Auction in Dallas this weekend? If so, give me a buzz.

Lionel

Dallas, TX

Posted on: 2013/9/5 19:54
 Top  Print   

Re: Choosing the car with the right stuff
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
How many miles or kliks will u be driving????? And what kind of road conditions????? I'm aasuming u will be driving round trip paris france to peking china????? Have u ever made such a tour before??????

The answers to those questions are important to determine the car and preperation for such a tour.

Are 6parts more readily available that 8 parts?????

Posted on: 2013/9/5 20:15
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Lionel
See User information
Never made such a journey before. At least, not in this life time. Check thehttp://www.endurorally.com/ site.

Lionel

Posted on: 2013/9/5 21:10
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Lionel,

See, from your other posts, you're going to mechanically go through whatever Packard you finally use. From my limited experience a 6 cylinder Packard in good condition doesn't suffer too much in comparison to it's 8 cylinder siblings. It still has plenty of pep, pulls well and steering is lighter. A slightly shorter and lighter 6 cylinder Packard especially if equipped with OD may have advantages for what you're planning to do. Also, from my limited exposure, it appears the 6's don't seem to suffer from overheating problems anywhere near as much as the 8's seem to.

As to parts availability, 6's are on a par with the 8's from Kanters and Max. Plus, if I may be bold, the resources of The Flackmaster!

Posted on: 2013/9/5 22:27
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Lionel
See User information
David, Based on what you are saying looks like the 6 cyl should be the car to use. There is one currently on Hemmings, I believe in Ohio. It does not have side mounts and that is important to me. I tried to search for side mount fenders and did not see many, only one for about $800.

Overheating is a big issue since 8 to 10 days in the Mongolian Gobi desert would render the vehicle useless from the strat. As I read back all the previous rallies here are the most common problems people had with their respective cars:

Overheating
Vapor lock
suspension
engine damage ( mostly due to additive to boost performance)
driving cars that appeared not well sorted out beforehand
too heavy of a vehicle
too much junk on the car
And most importantly there is the profound human inability to understand the mechanized horse limitations....... My dad used to tell me: "son, cars are put together with nuts and bolts and they to come loose from time to time, drive judiciously"

I plan to travel light with the essentials such as:

Spare h2o pump, extra carburetor, fan, gen belts, spark plugs, fuel pump rebuild kit, two spare tires, a set of hand tools for emergency repairs, straps, and just a few more items.

I appreciate the feedback.

Lionel

Posted on: 2013/9/6 2:25
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
37-42 6 cylinder Packards do not have sidemounts (actually I saw one that had them cobbled aftermarket - not good). They are shorter WB than the eights and the difference is in the hood. The shorter distance from the door to the front wheel doesn't leave room. If you are thinking they are a good way to carry an extra spare, getting the wheel in and out is a bit of a PIA in my opinion

Posted on: 2013/9/6 7:24
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi

Just my opinion having never been on such a adventure, but I think your optimum choice would be a '38-'42 Six or 110 two door sedan. They're the smallest, lightest yet roomy sedan available. With the rear seat removed, you'd have maximum room for whatever you need to take plus space enough to camp in the car if the pass-through to the trunk was open (might have to modify the body braces somewhat). There were also commercial chassis ambulances and hearses available in those years so heavier-duty components such as suspension, brakes etc might be obtained and fitted beforehand.

There were also taxi models offered from 1941-50 but very hard to find since most all were used up in service decades ago. Still, they do turn up, might be worth a search for one, those were tough cars too.

Turn to this website for good, accurate information you need as you begin your preparation of the car, there is a wealth of knowledgeable Packard folks here, as well as on the Packard Club Forum.

Steve

PS: Hope you will give these websites a boost when the car is ready by displaying PackardInfo and Packard Club logos and web addresses.

Posted on: 2013/9/6 8:11
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Lionel
See User information
That being the case, would an earlier 6 cyl car would work? Or, possibly I could build a spare tire bracket for the trunk in order to carry the spare tires.

Thanks,

Lionel

Posted on: 2013/9/6 8:13
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Lionel
See User information
Hello Steve,

This site is already getting the boost!!! Lots of good information and very helpful folks ready to provide good feedback. I got a lead to a 1938 8 cyl with side mounts lets see how it turns out.

I was searching through the owners list here and see that there is 1934 in McKinney,TX with side mounts as well. Wonder if he would consider selling the car for a good Worldly adventure!

Thanks,

Lionel

Dallas, TX

Posted on: 2013/9/6 8:17
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
This year there were 2 germans (or austrians) who took a 39 packard six coupe from peking to paris. If they made it work with a coupe a sedan would give you plenty of room.

Posted on: 2013/9/6 8:22
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you

Bad company corrupts good character!

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved