Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
176 user(s) are online (103 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 176

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

clipper
Home away from home
Home away from home

mike james
See User information
Hello,

It's time to start the blog for the Panama. Soo I was trying to tune it up and put new plugs, cap, rotor, ect. picked up parts from napa got new wires they are not copper core like og hooked them up and no start. went through firing order, that checks out.Is it the wires? put old wires back on still no fire. Changed cap and installed new rotor to start have not changed points yet. Also set #1 to tdc looked like it was off so I moved rotor to what I thought was tdc. nope look at the manual first dummy!!!manual has #1 set at 37 degrees so I need to put it back where it's supposed to be. Should I use copper core wires? Bad thing is car ran before!!

Attach file:

jpg  (258.83 KB)
4714_5cfc7aa1ba793.jpg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2019/6/8 22:31
53 Clipper- Sold
50 touring sedan- Sold
55 Patrician- Sold
56 Patrician- Sold
55 Clipper Super Panama parts car- Sold
55 Clipper Super Panama
 Top  Print 

Re: clipper
Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
Try putting the old rotor back in, and check to make sure that the points are properly adjusted and the condenser is not grounded out.

Posted on: 2019/6/9 7:57
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Along with the condenser, check the flexible cloth covered wire between the points and the outside terminal. Just changing the rotor and your fingers could have touched and moved the wire. The old cloth insulation is fragile and if it was rotten a piece could have fallen off and let the wire short in a hidden spot under the top plate.

The wire has caught several others and given symptoms identical to yours. If it does turn out to be a problem, it is a special ultra flexible wire that can handle the movement as the weights and vacuum advance constantly adjusts the plate the points are mounted on.

Easy way to check for a shorted wire or condenser is use a voltmeter. With the key on, at the low voltage terminal on the side of the distributor if the points are open and all is OK there should be several volts measured to ground. If points are closed or there is a short the voltage will not read more than a few tenths above ground. Bump the engine a couple of times to ensure the points open and close as you watch the meter. If the meter jumps up and down several volts then the dist wire, points and condenser is most likely OK. If it never or barely moves suspect a problem in the dist.

If you need a replacement, ordinary wire is too stiff and will not work for very long before it breaks. Napa might have a flex wire or there are ebay vendors who carry them. Just try to find a wire near the length of yours and I would recommend not trying to change it in any way. Definitely no soldering extra length on but if you can't tuck in extra safely away from rotating parts and must shorten, carefully use a crimp terminal. Even then it is setting up a weak spot that could concentrate all the flexing and break.

Here are a few that Napa may still carry but chances of finding them locally get slimmer ever day.

Attach file:

jpg  (48.95 KB)
209_5cfd0a1c62477.jpg 723X600 px

Posted on: 2019/6/9 8:31
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

mike james
See User information
Whooo Hooo running again now to fix brakes still think I'm off a tooth or two though. the tune up chart leaves much to be desired!!

Posted on: 2019/9/11 4:22
53 Clipper- Sold
50 touring sedan- Sold
55 Patrician- Sold
56 Patrician- Sold
55 Clipper Super Panama
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ernie Vitucci
See User information
Good Morning...May I ask what made the old girl fire up? Thanks, Ernie in Arizona

Posted on: 2019/9/11 13:17
Caretaker of the 1949-288 Deluxe Touring Sedan
'Miss Prudence' and the 1931 Model A Ford Tudor 'Miss Princess'
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

mike james
See User information
If you look at the AEA tune up chart the firing order looks like it goes clock wise the rotor on my Clipper turns counter clockwise so the firing order is opposite of the tune up chart. The person who put the wires on backwards shall remain nameless!!

Posted on: 2019/9/11 14:22
53 Clipper- Sold
50 touring sedan- Sold
55 Patrician- Sold
56 Patrician- Sold
55 Clipper Super Panama
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ernie Vitucci
See User information
Good Packard morning...Thank you for letting us know. We have all done similar things and then been stumped! I know I have...Enjoy your day. Ernie in Arizona

Posted on: 2019/9/12 10:36
Caretaker of the 1949-288 Deluxe Touring Sedan
'Miss Prudence' and the 1931 Model A Ford Tudor 'Miss Princess'
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
This gave me a chuckle but glad to hear that it was worked out in the end. Good job in discovering the problem!

Posted on: 2019/9/13 1:37
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

r1lark
See User information
Hi Mike,

Looking forward to this blog, since I love the '55 Clippers. That looks like a really solid car.

If you get a chance, post some more pics of the car.

Paul

Posted on: 2019/9/17 6:35
Paul
www.studebakerskytop.com
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

mike james
See User information
so, I brought the parts car home and I received a box of paperwork with it. Found the title to the turquoise car in with all of the other stuff. I now have a full extra set of manuals if anyone needs them. About the parts car, it is kinda complete but has lots of dents. I'm thinking of trying to take the dents out of the roof and that will determine what happens with it. I really hope it turns out ok as I like the color combo. the motor also turns over. Keep you posted!!

Attach file:

jpg  (496.39 KB)
4714_5da98e275eae7.jpg 1920X1440 px

jpg  (614.61 KB)
4714_5da98e3f092eb.jpg 1920X1440 px

jpg  (474.47 KB)
4714_5da98e5435e06.jpg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2019/10/18 5:05
53 Clipper- Sold
50 touring sedan- Sold
55 Patrician- Sold
56 Patrician- Sold
55 Clipper Super Panama
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved