Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
122 user(s) are online (83 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 119

BDeB, Don B, Tobs, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

lost my brakes after emergency stop
Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
It might be to dangereous to drive my 36 120 around, more people pay attention to the car than to the traffic! This resulted in me having to make an emergency stop! The car brakes almost like a modern car but after the emergency stop I lost my brakes!
I'm got the car parked about 5 miles away from home, and I'd like it to be here instead of there! Anyone else battled this same problem before?

Posted on: 2013/10/23 16:34
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you

Bad company corrupts good character!

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print   

Re: lost my brakes after emergency stop
Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
single circuit system - did you find a wet spot where a hose or line blew?

Posted on: 2013/10/23 16:41
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
If you have no pedal at all, then you have either popped a steel line or (less likely) a hose. Call AAA.

Let me make a definative statement: There is no Packard that should have any of its original brake hoses or so much as one inch of its original brake tubing. The newest Packard is 54 years old and that tubing corrodes from the inside just as the wheel cylinders do.

Posted on: 2013/10/23 16:47
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
I crawled under there and I don't think I busted a line; I mean I didn't see fresh oil except on the rubber on the brake cylinder.

Posted on: 2013/10/23 17:43

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If no sign of fluid loss, it would seem that master is at fault. I had a failure in a 64 Chevelle because of the master. It wasn't even a BTV either -- but the pedal went to the metal and I sailed right thru a 4 way stop. Lucked out that no one else was there and the car stopped fine the next time. On the rebuild, there didn't appear to be a reason for the failure.

One other thing worth looking at is the actuating rod and attachment to the pedal. Any chance the emergency hard stop could have bent or broken or dislodged the old rod or the attachment pin to pedal?

Posted on: 2013/10/23 17:56
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
The rod and the pedal are fine. I'll get it on the lift tomorrow so I can get a better look.

Posted on: 2013/10/23 18:55

Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Howard, are you absolutely sure it wasn't a BTV?

Posted on: 2013/10/23 20:45
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Absolutely. It was one of those big round but skinny things with a single master. I've thought of that episode so many times when people recount their BTV woes.

Posted on: 2013/10/23 20:58
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Bdc and HH56:
Neither one of you described any attempt to have pumped the braked pedal to possibly allow for some brake recovery.

Posted on: 2013/10/23 21:57
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
To pump the brake isn't a workaround but the last measure in a life-threatening situation. I think, Keith is talking about pumping as a quick test in a standstill.

Posted on: 2013/10/24 1:24
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved