Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
132 user(s) are online (94 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 132

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Engine Chirp
Just popping in
Just popping in

leigh j
See User information
I have a '41 La Baron. The front end and engine compartment have been restored and a rebuilt 356 installed. Water pump, oil pump, generator, distributor, and carb rebuilt. New M8 spark plugs. Have been running the engine and sorting things out. It has developed a chirp at idle and does not go away when RPM's increase but it also does not get louder. Can be heard through the exhaust as well. No idea what is causing the chirp. Any thoughts?

Posted on: 2023/6/18 18:26
 Top  Print   

Re: Engine Chirp
Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
Is the engine missing, or simply making an odd noise?

Could it be a squeak in the exhaust system due to a slightly loose connection or bracket, pipe slightly loose at the manifold, or a fabric or rubber exhaust system mount that has decayed and is allowing metal-to metal contact?

Intake manifold leak? A small leak at one intake port might make an intermittent whstle or chirp sound.

Fuel pumps, including those with a vacuum booster, have been known to make odd chirping or hooting sounds.

Other possible suspects include the generator, fan belt, and water pump. These can be eliminated by removing the fan belt temporarily.

An internal engine squeak or chirping sound is unlikely, but not impossible. Such a sound might be louder at the oil filler pipe.

Motor and transmission mounts can also generate odd sounds, as can breathers, horns, or any other engine mounted accessory.

Posted on: 2023/6/18 20:26
 Top  Print   

Re: Engine Chirp
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day leigh j,
See from your profile you've been a Forum Member for quite some time(2010) but first post, so to PackardInfo.

I invite you to include your '41 LeBaron Packard in PackardInfo's Packard Vehicle Registry.

My guess as to your "chirp", would be a slipping fanbelt. If so, with the engine running, carefully rub a bar of soap against the belt to eliminate the noise.

Posted on: 2023/6/18 22:59
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved