Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
134 user(s) are online (57 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 130

Flybiker18, TxGoat, Ozstatman, Don 37, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1940 Super 8 Valve Work
Home away from home
Home away from home

todd landis
See User information
From just a few weeks ago, have pulled the head off again along with the intake and exhaust manifolds. Low compression in several cylinders. The tar like substance is in the intake manifold and in the intake ports. What is going on?
When I had the manifolds machined they used some sort of lubricating fluid?
A leaking intake manifold sucking in exhaust?
Since the last valve job a few weeks ago only started maybe seven times to do adjustments, let in run for around 15-20 minutes each time to get rid of condensation.
Thanks Todd

Attach file:

jpg  packard1.jpg (114.06 KB)
733_66ccc9e350c20.jpg 1080X810 px

jpg  packard2.jpg (115.91 KB)
733_66ccc9eb63cb1.jpg 1080X810 px

jpg  packard3.jpg (89.33 KB)
733_66ccc9f33f2c4.jpg 810X1080 px

Posted on: Today 13:31
 Top  Print   

Re: 1940 Super 8 Valve Work
Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
Do you have fresh, clean gasoline in the tank?

Posted on: Today 13:42
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

todd landis
See User information
I thought so. But, most of it is probably around a couple months old.
That's an awful lot of goo for just several starts? When I did the valve job a few weeks ago, had just a bit of that in each intake from around 15 years of build up. Perhaps the intake manifold had a large build up that I missed and now started to melt from the several starts? Maybe need to boil out the intake manifold? It does look a bit shiny when looking down from the carburetor mount.

Posted on: Today 14:11
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
It's not normal. Stale gas can cause that. I've seen deposits of what looked like molasses form in the intake of a new lawn mower engine that only ran about ten minutes before the intake valve stuck open. Stale gasoline caused it. The goo was hard to remove, too. Your exhaust ports don't look too bad. I would wash out the intake manifold and try to clean out the intake ports and valve stem area. Then I'd drain all the gas out of the tank and lines and carburetor. Check that the crankcase oil looks and feels normal and doesn't smell like stale gas.

Posted on: Today 14:43
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

todd landis
See User information
Will do, thanks

Posted on: Today 15:05
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved