Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
95 user(s) are online (63 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 95

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

'39 flathead 6 questions from a newbie
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Old_Crow
See User information
Assembling the flathead 6 motor on a '39 Junior Packard.
My main experience is as a GM dealer tech for 25 years and about 7-8 years in restoring old cars(mostly 50's to 70's classics).
I know how to build a motor, but the old Packard has just enough differences to make me scratch my head.
The "service manual" I've got(provided by the owner)contains just enough info to get me into trouble.

I bought my pistons, bearings and gasket set from Max Merritt. The gasket kit contains the wooden dowels for the side of the rear main bearing cap and also a package of graphite impregnated rope seals such as are used on later model cars.
I looked at the rear main cap and the engine. I can tell where the dowels go to seal the sides of the main cap, but I can't tell if you're supposed to insert the rope seal in the channel where the oil slinger rides, or just let the slinger and the extra groove on the back of the rear main bearing handle the oil.

Another question I have is in regards to the head nuts. Several brackets go to the studs for the heads. Some of these brackets were between the nuts and the heads. I would think that proper placement of the brackets is on top of the nut...thus, install nuts, torque head, install brackets, add second washer and nut to hold bracket.

Help a Packard newbie out, please.

Wally Crow
Vince's Vintage Vehicles
Fox, AR 72051
501-723-4080

Posted on: 2013/8/19 14:59
 Top  Print   

Re: '39 flathead 6 questions from a newbie
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Old_Crow
See User information
36 hours, 58 views and not even one reply(even if only to tell me to get a manual)?

FWIW, I searched this site, located and tried to download the '38-'39 manual that bigkev put up as a pdf. I downloaded the compact manual and that turns out to be what I already have, which doesn't have the info I need. Tried to download the full manual, but it wouldn't open after I downloaded it(some error message related to the font).
So, failing to have the answer to my question, does anyone have a link to the download of the full manual that might work?

Wally

Posted on: 2013/8/21 11:52
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
I suspect that 39SixMan will pipe in soon. I haven't heard from him today, so I suspect he may have taken off for the weekend early again.

Posted on: 2013/8/21 12:19
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
No rope seal used at the rear main bearing on the 6 cylinder for 1947 and earlier, only the slinger.

Brackets on the 1937 six are installed under the head nuts. I expect that 1939 is the same.

Posted on: 2013/8/21 13:49
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Wally (Old_Crow ), welcome to PackardInfo.com.

Quote:
...Tried to download the full manual, but it wouldn't open after I downloaded it(some error message related to the font)...

Be so kind to post the link to the mentioned full manual.

Posted on: 2013/8/21 14:42
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Old_Crow
See User information
Thanks guys. I finally called Max Merritt in desparation and Fred said that they didn't use a rear main seal on the sixes, just the slinger. Said the dowels/ropes come in a package and they just throw the whole package into the gasket set when they make it up. ARRRGH!

As far as the brackets go, I'll put them under the head nuts, but I still think that that will affect the torque value.
Maybe I'm over-thinking this, but I've got good reason. The former owner of my shop did a head gasket on this car a couple years back. When I took it apart this time, it had water in the oil again. I also found some head stud holes that had been heli-coiled and were stripped again.
In an effort to fix this I've had all the stud threads repaired with time-serts and I was going to put the brackets on top of the first nuts to try and get an even torque on all the studs.
Lots of other minor stuff I'm fixing at the same time...rusted bolts, harmonic balancer has come apart, oil pan leaking, etc. Yes, it's also getting new bearings because of the coolant in the oil issue.

Just don't want to see it in here again for an engine related problem.

Wally

Posted on: 2013/8/21 14:53
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Old_Crow
See User information

Posted on: 2013/8/21 14:58
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Wally (Old_Crow ), download works and the 145 pages of the manual are openable and readable. I can e-mail you "my" manual version (23.5 MB) for a second attempt but the best way should be to use another computer if possible. Do you use the newest Acrobat Reader? Mine is 10.1.7.

Attach file:

jpg  (34.14 KB)
757_521528ad23dbd.jpg 500X374 px

Posted on: 2013/8/21 15:35
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

39SixSedanMan
See User information
Crow,
I own a 39 six sedan and yes, all images/history/etc indicate the horn, coil bracket, plug wire bracket, air cleaner bracket and even aftermarket oil filter bracket are mounted with the nut over the bracket. Further, I don't think the studs are long enough for the two nuts necessary to lock the bracket atop the lower nut that would hold the head.

Finally, and for what its worth, I've had the brackets under the head nuts for 15 years with no external or internal leaks.

Hope this helps. You may wish to peruse the Service Letters on this site to see some authentic photos and drawings that confirm this.

Best Regards,
Pat (39sixsedanman)

Posted on: 2013/8/21 16:44
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Old_Crow
See User information
Guscha, wow! I have 3 computers I maintain, plus my wife's laptop. Somehow the one I use the most, here at work has been stuck on v8 of Adobe. Let me upgrade and try again.

39Six, Okay, you guys are the experts, if you say the brackets go under the nuts, that's how I'll do it. Like I said, over analyzing. I'll bet the problem was the pulled threads, not the brackets. Oh, and the crack in the block my machinist stitched closed probably wasn't helping anything either.
You guys are the Packard experts and thats why I'm here. If you need to know anything about small block Chevy's, I'm your guy.

Thanks to all, actually got some time to work on it today and the crank, rods and pistons are back in the block. Got the cam and valve train in also. Looks like I'll have it back in the car sometime next week.

Wally

Posted on: 2013/8/23 15:09
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved