Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
39 user(s) are online (25 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 35

CrookedWrenches, CardinalClassicsNear, Brock, Jack Vines, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Do Trippe lights ground through the mounting bracket?
Home away from home
Home away from home

1929PackardGuy
See User information
Sorry for the dumb question. My '29 has Trippe lights on it that have never been hooked up. I bought a "Unity" brand switch off eBay to work them with and was going to wire them up while my car's down getting the clutch rebuilt. Come to find out, both bulbs were blown, so, got some of those on the way. There's only the one metal-covered wire coming out of the big lights, do they ground through the mounting bracket that hooks them to the front bumper frame? Thanks, and once again, sorry for a dumb question!

Posted on: Yesterday 11:15
 Top  Print   

Re: Do Trippe lights ground through the mounting bracket?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ernie Vitucci
See User information
Good Morning...No questions are dumb on Packard Info. I don't know the answer to your question...but someone will by noon, I suspect. Ernie in Arizona.

Posted on: Yesterday 11:24
Caretaker of the 1949-288 Deluxe Touring Sedan
'Miss Prudence' and the 1931 Model A Ford Tudor 'Miss Princess'
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
With only one wire coming out chances are good that the ground is provided by the mounts to the bumper or frame. If you can see the back of the socket when you change the bulb look for any wires just in case one might be broken. One wire will be going out to connect to power but if there is a second wire see where it goes.

With lights where a frame and housing is providing a ground some sockets will have a second wire that might be going to a screw or bolt inside on the metal housing. Other sockets will only have one wire and the shell or body of the socket where the bulb inserts provides the ground by touching or being mounted to a metal part of the housing. Some lights have the ground path from the mount, thru the body of the light, thru the reflector which touches the body and then to the socket mounted to the reflector. If you find a wire is broken then a dedicated external ground wire would usually be fairly short coming out of the light housing and would need to be connected by a screw to a solid ground point on a fender or the frame.

Posted on: Yesterday 11:33
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Yes, they are grounded via the mounting hardware.

Posted on: Yesterday 14:23
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved