Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
148 user(s) are online (86 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 147

packardsix1939, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Pulling the motor
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

JohnCobb
See User information
Unfortunately I am having to pull out the motor on my '39 "Six" 4 door. Is it possible to pull the Motor / trans out as 1 unit or do I need to separate the Transmission, remove the flywheel, remove the bell housing and then pull the motor? Not looking forward to this but I will appreciate some helpful info.

Posted on: Yesterday 20:19
 Top  Print   

Re: Pulling the motor
Home away from home
Home away from home

tsherry
See User information
you "can" separate the engine and trans; I did this with my '40.

Do yourself a favor and pull them together. WAY easier to mate together on a bench.

Pulling the entire front clip in one piece is easy, by the way. Disconnect/cut the radiator hoses. One bolt under the radiator that goes through the frame, rods to the cowl, brackets from lower fender to frame, running board bolts, body screws (which are not bolts, but screws going into speed clips in the cowl, under the fender. Disconnect the wiring on the LH inner fender liner. I think that's it. Took me a little over an hour on my '40. I did cheat though and cut a bunch of the rusted solid running board bolts with a grinder and cut off wheel.

Cherry picker with a chain, looped around the radiator support rods, lift and move forward, rest it on a couple of sawhorses and move onto the engine.

Posted on: Yesterday 20:35
 Top  Print   

Re: Pulling the motor
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
I echo Tsherry's advice to remove the clip. As stated, it takes about an hour (it was a little longer for me for me, but I'm old and methodical!) and once off you have much better access to not only the engine, but anything else that may need attention like shocks or a possible radiator service, etc. It also helps avoid any scratches or dents to your fenders and grille housing. And definitely pull the motor and trans together. The 3-speed is not that heavy and is very short so it doesn't add a lot of length or weight to the block and if you chain it such that the whole thing is a wee bit tail heavy, you can get it out, barely touching the firewall tunnel. And if you do pull the clip, take note of the spacer washers on that big radiator nut as they affect alignment of the hood spacing and body panels. Just my two bits worth, hope it is of some help - good luck with your project. Chris

Attach file:

jpg  2018_04_14_0048R.JPG (133.97 KB)
121627_671029e342315.jpg 1920X1280 px

jpg  2018_04_14_0046R.JPG (193.41 KB)
121627_671029f34f899.jpg 1920X1280 px

Posted on: Today 16:07
'If you think you can, or you think you can't - you're right!' Henry Ford.
1939 Packard Six, Model 1700
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Upcoming Events
46th Annual Texas Packard Meet
04/03/2025 - 04/06/2025
Packard Salon - Calling All Twelves
05/27/2025 - 05/29/2025
58th Annual National Meet
05/31/2025 - 06/06/2025
AACA Fall Meet (Hershey)
10/06/2025 - 10/10/2025
South Pacific Packard Club 2026 Rally
03/22/2026 - 03/28/2026
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved