Happy 4th of July and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
98 user(s) are online (51 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 97

kevinpackard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

2262 Rear Tire Removal
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Todd W. White
See User information
Hello all.

I have searched throughout the forums and cannot find the answer to my question.

As a new Packard owner, I am working on the brakes of my 1949 2262. The front is done, but, when I went to remove the left rear wheel, after removing the skirt, jacking up the back and putting it on stands, the tire and wheel will not come off the car. I did read one thing about the shocks maybe being too short and preventing it from lowering far enough, but, we disconnected the shock and, while the shock had plenty of additional travel available, I still can't get the wheel off the hub.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Posted on: Yesterday 21:11
Todd W. White
Sapulpa, Okla.
1949 2262 DeLuxe Eight Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Re: 2262 Rear Tire Removal
Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
- Take off the fender skirt.

- Deflate the tire.

My guess is someone put ill-fitting radials on it that are a fair amount too wide. What is the tire size as indicated on the sidewall?

Posted on: Yesterday 21:21
1955 400 | Registry | Project Blog
1955 Clipper Deluxe | Registry | Project Blog
1955 Clipper Super Panama | Registry
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Todd W. White
See User information
I did take off the skirt, before I did anything else. It has the correct size tires, based upon Factory spec, which is 7.60 x 15, made by Coker Tire.

Posted on: Yesterday 21:25
Todd W. White
Sapulpa, Okla.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

53 Cavalier
See User information
Are your stands under the frame or axle? On my 53 I need to jack from.the frame so the axle is low enough to get the tires off.

Posted on: Yesterday 21:32
 Top  Print   
Like (2)

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If you did jack from the frame do you see anything pulled tight such as a brake hose or emergency brake cable that could be preventing a drop? Since the issue is on the left side how about the 5th shock/horizontal stabilizer. Could that be a repro or repaired unit that possibly doesn't have enough travel.

Posted on: Yesterday 21:35
Howard
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Todd W. White
See User information
Well, traditionally, I've always put them under the axle, but I've never had a car with fender skirts on it, so I didn't even think about putting the stands under the frame itself. I will try that in the morning.

Thank you!

Posted on: Yesterday 21:40
Todd W. White
Sapulpa, Okla.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I read your question several times as the answers so far didn't seem to match what you were asking. You said you couldn't get the wheel off the hub (paraphrasing) which has nothing to do with clearance so if it's simply stuck to the drum, pull harder or tap the back side of the outer edge of rim with a mallet or even a hammer to break it free. These do sometimes stick. If I've misunderstood and it is already loose, then it should come out following the pointers given.

Posted on: Yesterday 22:08
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Todd W. White
See User information
Hi and thanks for your reply.

Well, I guess I didn't the state it very well.

I'm able to get the lug bolts out, and release the tire that's attached to it from the hub.

My problem is, even after having taken off the skirt, there is not enough clearance to get the tire/wheel out of the wheel well. It is hanging up somewhere (and I ran out of daylight so I'm not sure exactly where), but I think it's hanging up because there's not enough clearance between the inside edge of the Fender and the end of the axle. I am guessing that what others have suggested, namely, that instead of jacking up the back end and resting the axles on jack stands, that I should put the jack stands under the frame and rest the vehicle on the jack stands using the frame, thereby allowing the axle to lower enough to get the wheel/tire out of the wheel well.

Posted on: Yesterday 23:29
Todd W. White
Sapulpa, Okla.
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved