Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
190 user(s) are online (62 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 190

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Trunk Lock
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

rhlevine
See User information
Concerning '52 packard 4-door sedan trunk lock-

Is there supposed to be a striker or rod at the end of the cylinder. The cylinder appears to open the trunk o.k. but it slides right out with the key in it. How do you secure it so that it stays in the trunk lid when you extract the key?

Ron

Posted on: 2013/2/24 10:00
 Top  Print   

Re: Trunk Lock
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
[edited] I'm just guessing w/o looking in the parts book but I'd think the 52 models used a "U"-shaped spring clip to retain the lock cylinder, similar or perhaps the same as used in later years.

Posted on: 2013/2/24 10:05
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
O_D beat me to it but it & sounds like the retainers may be missing. I think the part may be different between 52 and 56 based on the instructions in the service manual. The 56 piece is squarish U shaped flat metal but it sounds like the 52 piece is much smaller and maybe a different type.

On the off chance it fell out, perhaps removing the lock mechanism and rummaging around with a small magnet in the cavity will find it.

Attach file:

jpg  (75.43 KB)
209_512a2f26a1ec0.jpg 479X849 px

Posted on: 2013/2/24 10:18
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
Having just serviced my 51 200's trunk lock, I can report that it is held on with a deformed U shaped retainer clip. It is square on top, with horseshoe shaped legs. The legs were curved slightly to keep tension on the lock mechanism. Look just in front of the license plate, in the cavity in the floor. I've found all sorts of nuts and bolts there.

Posted on: 2013/2/24 10:35
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Per David's description, the 52 retainer sounds similar to the 56 piece so should look something like this. The retainer holds the entire lock assy in place. If you meant just the cylinder is coming out and the outer housing stays put then the retainer is not the issue.

If it is just the cylinder coming out, that is usually held in one of two ways. I don't know which the trunk lock used in 52. Either a spring loaded semicircular "tab" near one end of the cylinder which fits into a groove inside the outer lock housing or with a screw which attaches the cylinder to the rest of the turning mechanism.

If just the cylinder, let it come out and check near the ends for a slightly protruding spring loaded semicircular piece. Make sure the piece is free to move. If that looks good perhaps the housing has been deformed or has gotten debris inside so the groove is filled and tab can't lock into place. If you see no tab, check for a screw hole on the far end.

Attach file:

jpg  (11.37 KB)
209_512a3b65f3ef7.jpg 297X273 px

Posted on: 2013/2/24 11:10
Howard
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved