Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
256 user(s) are online (153 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 255

Guscha, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

transmission engagement
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

bear
See User information
my 1949 2300 deluxe touring sedan shudders and jerks when clutch is engaged in 1st gear. What is the torque spec on the snubberrod nut? any other possible causes for this problem?

Posted on: 6/2 20:02
 Top  Print   

Re: transmission engagement
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I don't believe Packard gave a torque recommendation for that particular snubber. It is a simple bar rather than the more elaborate snubber assy used prior to the 21st series. Typically I believe you would only need to tighten the nuts to compress the rubber donuts a bit but not be so tight you have them flattened to the point of effectively turning them into part of the bar.

I would suggest you go to the service index, 37-42 years when the snubber was first released and installed on some models. In the CLUTCH category review the articles relating to clutch chatter. In the articles several other conditions that can cause the chatter are mentioned, deteriorated motor mounts and a greasy, hard, or dirty clutch disc being among the causes. There is also another article in the 48-50 years that doesn't go into as much detail but also mentions other things to check.

Posted on: 6/2 20:45
Howard
 Top  Print   

Re: transmission engagement
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I am experiencing something similar on the Jackard. I think it's due to a rear main oil leak that get oil on clutch.

Posted on: 6/2 20:55
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved