Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
90 user(s) are online (52 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 86

Packard Don, Ozstatman, HH56, BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Electric radio antenna
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Bobs51
See User information
Does anyone have or know where I can get parts for the electric antenna on the 51? I haven't had it apart yet but I suspect that there is a long plastic track gear that has a stripped spot on it. The motor still runs but the antenna doesn't move anymore.

May be interested in a complete antenna with a burned out motor. Just need the track gear.

Posted on: 2011/10/7 14:40
 Top  Print   

Re: Electric radio antenna
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Not sure how different it is from the later ones, but on mine which came off a '55 car, the "track" is nothing more that a thick nylon rod (no teeth). There are a pair of gear driven pinch rollers that grab the rod through tension only push or pull the rod up and down.

If the motor runs, but the antenna does not move, then problem is one of three things:

1) One of the gears that drive the pinch rollers is stripped.

2) The tension on the pinch rollers is to loose (this can be adjusted) and it slipping.

3) The nylon rod itself is broken or bound up on something.

Replacement parts usually have to be salvaged out of a another unit.

Luckily on mine, the motor armature had shifted in the housing and was binding, and I just needed to realign it. Everything else was good.

Posted on: 2011/10/7 14:48
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Bobs51
See User information
Thanks Kev, Guess I'll pull the whole thing out when I get to it. One problem is that the antenna is almost all the way up. Not sure how or even if the assembly can be removed out the bottom with the antenna extended. Wish it had broke at the bottom of its travel instead of the top. Just thought of how to do it. I can have the car put up on a lift.

Posted on: 2011/10/7 14:58
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
You are probably right on with the bad spot. If the antenna binds, the motor keeps turning and chews a nice notch out of the track. Not sure the nylon track was ever available separately as it was crimped to the top section of mast. On earlier units it's an odd shaped piece which could probably be special made if you're willing to order a few thousand feet. I have never found anything even close available from retail places that sell various nylon extrusions. Round on later ones almost like a real thick string trimmer nylon but fairly flexible. Regular round nylon extrusions available at various places is too stiff.

Antenna Masters who used to sell the top piece with track and also the entire masts to replace broken ones is gone but I believe their inventory might have been bought. Long time ago though so maybe that is used up as well. Kanter once did some rebuilds and I think Tucson Packards might have done some also. Maybe worth a call to one of them and see if they have any ideas..

Posted on: 2011/10/7 14:59
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
I screwed up and only bought two complete masts at $60.00 a piece. Should have bought at least six pair.
The guy from Antenna Masters just walked out of the house one day and disappeared.

Posted on: 2011/10/7 15:20
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Bobs51
See User information
I got the thing out. Had to remove the fenders anyway to make it easier to pull the block.

Dismantled the drive and found that the nylon rod and all the gears were ok. One of the drive gears was frozen. One of the shafts with the drive gear was frozen inside the bronze bushing. With a little effort I got it free. Took the motor apart and had a time getting it back together. Made sure the ball bearings at both ends of the motor shaft were in place but found there to be excessive end play anyway. Found that tapping up the mounting bolt at the bottom of the assembly would close up the end play however the bolt does not stay where you put it. Does anyone have information on adjusting the motor for end play? Is the hole at the bottom supposed to be threaded? Maybe it's stripped out.

Posted on: 2011/10/14 21:26
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I believe the end play is adjusted and center bolt is pressed in at the factory and not meant to be moved. Never have seen any kind of repair instructions on those antennas.

The units I've seen have very minimal end play of maybe 1/32 or less--just barely moves the armature up and down. In a previous lifetime, we used a thread & key locking compound on bolts, splines and shaft keys that once installed would almost be permanent to the point of stripping or breaking the screw head unless heated to break the bond. Perhaps one of the high strength Loctite products would work and keep it tight. Another option if there is enough metal might be to drill & tap the base and use a set screw or two against the end stud.

Posted on: 2011/10/14 23:04
Howard
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Bobs51
See User information
Quote:
Another option if there is enough metal might be to drill & tap the base and use a set screw or two against the end stud.

Good idea. Was considering drilling a hole through the casting and the bolt and inserting a roll pin. Think that's what I'll do.

Thanks for the information.

Posted on: 2011/10/14 23:13
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved