Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
114 user(s) are online (91 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 114

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Pushbutton Help Needed!
Home away from home
Home away from home

John McCall and Mitch Parker
See User information
Well, after a week away at work in another state, I took my 56 Patrician (equipped with the pushbutton unit that is like taking a "trip to the moon" according to a Packard promo film) to the grocery store (fortunately just a few blocks away). She started up and went right into reverse, then high and drove perfectly to the parking lot. Of course, now she is seized in someway. We have tried taking the battery cable on and off, pushing her gently, going through all the buttons, jacking up the Torsion Level height, etc. to no avail.

Now, mind you, I am not very mechanically minded, so any suggestions as to how to get her home would be welcome, but they will have to be simple! Anyone want to give it a try?
I'd certainly appreciate any tips. The unit was totally rebuilt by "Mr. Pushbutton"--but something is still awry. When this has happened before, after a few days sitting, her pushbuttons will work again perfectly. I am praying this will happen soon!

Posted on: 2012/10/4 17:11
1956 Packard Caribbean Convertible
1956 Packard Patrician Touring Sedan
1938 Eight Touring Sedan
1949 Custom Eight Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Re: Pushbutton Help Needed!
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Do you hear the relay "click" when you press a button?

Posted on: 2012/10/4 17:44
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If when saying "seized" do you mean none of the buttons work or something else?

Is the square plug under the dash fully seated with no wires on either side sticking out farther than the rest? How about the fuse protecting the buttons & fingers (if you have it)?

Even if the shift motor doesn't work, when you press R do you have reverse lights? If you do then the fuse and pressure switch is OK and need to have more symptoms as to what exactly does/doesn't work to start narrowing down. If no lights then can you start the engine in P or N (make sure brake is on when trying in case it does and trans is stuck in a gear).

Posted on: 2012/10/4 18:01
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:
When this has happened before, after a few days sitting, her pushbuttons will work again perfectly. I am praying this will happen soon!

Since this has happened before I'd be very curious about the pressure switch. If it's failing to close after the engine stops that would keep the P, N, and R buttons as well as the start relay and reverse lights from working. The other 3 buttons should still work though. If none of them work when it happens, there are only a couple of common power points to all 6 buttons. If you hear relays clicking but no shift motor then only a couple of possibilities there as well. Perhaps there is a loose connection that makes when something near it is moved or jarred.

Posted on: 2012/10/4 19:17
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Gentlemen,

Thanks for all these suggestions. We will go over this afternoon and do some checking as per your comments. I do not hear any sound when any of the buttons are pushed. The car starts up fine but no matter what button is pushed it just revs up and goes nowhere. We will check the back up lights this afteroon which may gives us a clue to the problem. Thanks!

Posted on: 2012/10/5 9:02
1938 Eight Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If stock wiring, then if it starts, the fuse and pressure switch sound OK. Reverse lights also get their power from the same place. The motor itself has a separate power and ground. Check both sides of the circuit breaker in case that has opened and then look at the large 6 terminal relay. On one side in the middle will be a short ground wire to one of the mounting screws. Make sure that is good and making a solid ground connection at the mounting screws.

Posted on: 2012/10/5 9:12
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
Check the circuit breaker on the driver's side fender well, it could be that the motor is not getting power. So it is stuck in either park or neutral, right?
Put a test light on both the pink and orange/bk wires on the shift relays, see if power is going there when you push any of the buttons. I'll help you through this, PM me for my cell number. Please be advised that I don't take calls during the day, after 5:00 PM only.

Posted on: 2012/10/5 9:13
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Hey Guys,

Thanks so much for helping me with this. I just went up and checked and when the Reverse button is engaged the back up lights come on. This means the pressure switch is OK, right? The problem is elsewhere? Will make the suggested checks when my partner gets home. Mr. Pushbutton==you can e=mail be your cell phone to: jcmdc@windstream. net.

By the way, our mechanism is the very one posted on You-Tube!

Posted on: 2012/10/5 12:51
1938 Eight Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
Esquireman--my cell number is in your inbox. I really recommend the test procedue in the Autolite pushbutton manual, that is an excellent diagnostic procedure. If you can't make the little dual test light they show there you can do the same thing with a regular test light, it will just take longer because you have to shuttle back and forth.

Posted on: 2012/10/5 13:39
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Our 56 Patrician is now safely home in her garage (where she will stay for a good while). We finally came up with the idea of raising the front end utilizing the Torsion Level, and voila...the car was able to shift into neutral. However, she didn't want to take the entire show over, so still no High or Reverse. With the help of a splendid tow man and the Torsion Level to allow tight clearances, we got her home and pushed her in to her berth.

Just wanted to thank all of you for assiting in troubleshooting and responding to the problem. It's still a problem, but it goes to prove, again, that Packard people are the finest on the planet (and non-pushbutton Packard motor cars are too!).

Posted on: 2012/10/6 12:27
1938 Eight Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved