Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
56 user(s) are online (40 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 54

TxGoat, BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

patrician 55 transmission tool
Just popping in
Just popping in

khmarsh
See User information
My 55 patrician is at the transmission shop. Does anyone know how I can obtain the transmission adapter tool PK-23 to perform the throttle pressure checks? Thanks for your help.

Kevin

Posted on: 2015/10/22 18:39
 Top  Print   

Re: patrician 55 transmission tool
Home away from home
Home away from home

Troy Taylor
See User information
The gauges come up from time to time on ebay, usually all the adapters are missing. You can make your own hose adapter and run it across. For 55 you should have 25psi@400 RPM.

If you were not having pressure issues prior to reworking,you should never touch the pressure screw as it is factory set and you will not have to mess with it unless again you were having pressure issues.

Posted on: 2015/10/22 19:01
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

khmarsh
See User information
I wasn't having pressure issues that I was aware of. There was a gear that striped... after having the transmission seals, bands and front pump replaced, the install hasn't been going too easy. The throttle adjustment has been performed, but when in drive, after reaching approx 15 mph the car acts like it goes into neutral. The installation procedures in the manual shows the only way to check/adjust throttle pressure when the transmission is installed is by using the adapter. If anyone knows a different method, please fill me in. Only issue we are having is "D". the car shifted fine before performing the overhaul.

Posted on: 2015/10/22 19:25
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Troy Taylor
See User information
Kevin,

While hard to trouble shoot over the net, a few suggestions to check:

Were the band adjuster finger pins taken out and inspected? These are often bent or broken.

Was the valve body set in square with the throttle level so there was no binding of the throttle valve as it moved back and forth.

Throttle lever set flush with the casting

Linkages properly adjusted from the fire wall on down

I just had a guy pay 3k to some one to rebuild his and because of the valve setting and Linkage he could not get above 40mph.

Let us know what you find.

Posted on: 2015/10/22 20:01
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

khmarsh
See User information
Thanks for the info. I will pass it onto the transmission tech tomorrow and see where we stand. I will keep the forum updated. Thanks for your help.

Posted on: 2015/10/22 20:07
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Agree with Troy; no need to worry with that adjustment as it only sets minimum pressure seen while coasting and idling. The throttle pressure at any other time is controlled by the adjustment of the throttle linkage up by the carb.

If you are using drive range and the car seems to go to neutral at 15, then the high clutches are not engaging. Try using the position just left of the D position. Will the car move at all? If not, then there is something wrong with the high clutch assembly. You can check for pressure to that at one of the easily accessible external ports as described in the pressure test section.

If the car will move off in high in the left position but will not shift automatically to high in the right position then the shift valve in the upper rear valve body is likely stuck.

Posted on: 2015/10/23 3:19
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

d c
See User information
In agreement with the diag procedures above for checking in all shift ranges and double checking the throttle valve linkages from the carb down but if the frt pump was changed wouldnt it be wise to check all the pressures? Maybe no need to adj the t v stop min press but all these should be checked. Seems 2 guages needed since the Packard press ck work sheet compares pump press to others with specs of at or not less than 10 lb less... Packard guage set not nec- 2 trans press gages or 1 trans,1 oil pr should do. As a fan of the Twin and someone fascinated with the "direct drive" (lock up trq converter) I would hope those with more exp will add in as I only had hands on with hydromatics. I realize the rear pump was for push start ability but with 12 volt arriving and less need for that feature why didnt they eliminate the rear pump? How important is rear pump press and gov press to normal operation over 15 mph? How important are the fr pump and rear pump check valves to norm operation?

Posted on: 2015/10/24 10:12
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

d c
See User information
Some may wish for more info on the throttle valve linkage adj runnng th factory carb on thev8 or an adapter and modern carb. After adj the carb turn buckle to set pedal link arm to just clear the toeboard with the carb at base idle non choke as per sve man, remove the t v cross shaft linkrod from the top hole and let the t v rod and arm rest on the stop. Now simply perform the straight edge check as per the svc man on the lower arm then adj cross shaft adj ( labled A in the 55 56 manual) so the t v linkage is just off the stop at base idle. ( you dont want the t v valve slamming against the stop on throttle release). This should put you in the ballpark for the min t v press at hot idle if nothing changed from pump swap. The 3 holes should allow slightly more or less pressure as throttle angle increases off idle as the ratio of t v valve movement to throttle movement can be fine tuned .

Posted on: 2015/10/24 10:38
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
I believe 5-1/2 threads showing is about right , I think that is like 1/2 open, if the guy looks at the valve, double check with peter fitch.?

Posted on: 2015/10/30 17:52
Riki
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
the adapter for pan, can be made from t rail, ,my dads adapter for pan went thru fire, and is not sq,,

I guess that would be I rail

Posted on: 2015/10/30 17:56
Riki
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved