Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
78 user(s) are online (63 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 77

53 Cavalier, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

2x4 Air Cleaner & Valve Covers
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

FoMoCoPower
See User information
Can anyone show me a picture of a correct batwing 2x4 air cleaner? I have one that I am trying to correctly identify. Also,did these cars ever come with a chrome air cleaner and/or valve covers?

Posted on: 2011/5/28 22:54
 Top  Print   

Re: 2x4 Air Cleaner & Valve Covers
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
There are several on the Caribbeans in the 55 and 56 photo archive sections. Here are a couple.https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/myalbum/photo.php?lid=1816&cid=57 andhttps://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/myalbum/photo.php?lid=1640&cid=57 There are others with various angles with and without decals.

Chrome valve covers were available but don't recall seeing chrome air filters other than possibly done for a show car.

Posted on: 2011/5/28 23:14
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fred kanter
See User information
Chrome valve covers were standard on Caribbeans 55-56, optional on other senior models.

"Batwing" air cleaner is almost indistinguishable from 56-57? Chevy, 55'56 Chrysler and maybe others just by looking at a photo. Distance between carburetor bolts/ differs on all, I believe.

If you hve one you need ID's send me the bolt distance adn if it has a small chrome V on it

Posted on: 2011/5/28 23:33
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

FoMoCoPower
See User information
The air cleaner I have looks like the one pictured,but it`s chrome. I need to go through everything this wek to see if Ihave the pods for it.

Any idea what a pair of nice chrome valve covers go for these days?

Posted on: 2011/5/29 10:25
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
A few months ago, in another thread on this type of air cleaner, I posted a link that may bear repeating, here.

The BATWING AIR CLEANER GUIDE is PDF file that I found online. Put together by a Pontiac V8 enthusiast, it shows the non-Packard applications and variations, as well as some "wannabees" that are mistakenly called "batwing" air cleaners. It also has dimensions, but none for the 55-56 Packard applications.

While I've seen some genuine batwing units on 55-56 Caribbeans that were chrome-plated, that finish is not (and should not be) considered as "factory authentic".

Posted on: 2011/5/29 10:48
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fred kanter
See User information
None of the other makes that had batwing airclnrs were chrome plated as far as I know.

Posted on: 2011/5/29 19:24
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved