Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
133 user(s) are online (90 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 132

humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

55 Patrician dimensions
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard0
See User information
I'm trying to figure out if a 55 Patrician will fit onto one of those Uhaul car trailers? I need to know the exact length from wheel to wheel as it sits and the width of the car at it's widest area.

Thanks

Posted on: 2013/10/29 7:10
 Top  Print   

Re: 55 Patrician dimensions
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Here is the official Packard dimensions. Wheelbase is 127" center to center and length is 218 1/2". Figure car is a little over 18 1/4 ft long & 6 1/2 ft wide

Measuring my 56, if you wanted to add a chock front and rear in addition to the chains you would need a flat floor surface of about 155 inches or slightly under 13 ft. You would have about a 3 foot hang over past the wheels on each end.

Don't forget about opening the door to get out if you drive it on. Lots of trailers have a cover over the wheels about where the door has to open. Assuming the car is at normal height and is level, it can't be any higher than about 9" to allow the door to open -- less would be better.

Attach file:

jpg  (16.14 KB)
209_526fbcd80b3b1.jpg 963X120 px

Posted on: 2013/10/29 8:49
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
One word of advise re: the U-Haul carriers: every car I see going down the highway on one of those is not strapped down very well. Take charge of that aspect of the process, get the straps tight, and make sure the ratchet buckles are lock back onto themselves.

Posted on: 2013/10/29 14:26
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
Possibly times have changed, but the last time I tried to rent one of these they were quite anal about knowing both what was going on the trailer and what was pulling it. The first time we were denied because the tow vehicle was inadequate and the car to be trailered was not allowable. (63 coupe de ville). Had a devil of a time with them.

Posted on: 2013/10/29 17:21
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
patgreen is spot on about U-Haul rentals. The last time my friend and I rented one to tow a 56 Packard 400, he exaggerated to them what kind of truck he had. He has a Ford F-250 Turbodiesel, but had to tell them it was F-350 in order for the U-Haul computer to allow the contract. Of course in actuality, we had no problem towing with the F-250.

Craig

Posted on: 2013/10/29 17:34
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Sloride75
See User information
I've made reservations online for U-haul, and the drop-down menu didn't have a 1949 Packard available. So I think I simply selected Studebaker, and the U-haul clerk didn't care or know the difference anyway.

That was towing it from KY to FL, and it towed just fine at normal highway speeds.

On the move from FL to VA, I found that renting a trailer from Budget would save me a couple of bucks. I figured the trailers were the same anyway. Boy was I wrong. Accelerating smoothly on the on-ramp the car started to sway, and eventually the trailer was across and in to three lanes. The car was rocking on the trailer so bad that the door sides were bouncing off the trailer fenders. It would not surprise me if the trailer's tires came off the ground. This was in an Expedition, loaded with the wife and three kids. One of the scariest events of my life. I managed to regain control, but had to drive all the way to VA doing not a tick over 55.

So the moral of the story is, not all of the rental trailers are the same. Budget's design is shorter than the particular U-haul trailer I had previously used. There was no way to adjust the car on the trailer, fore to aft, and the tongue weight was wrong. Please try to make a dry run at highway speeds before you head out on a trip.

Posted on: 2013/10/29 19:37
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard0
See User information
I went today and measured one of those Uhaul trailers and it was right around 80 inches wide between wheel covers. That would be a tight fit. What is the widest part of the 55 Patrician--the bumpers?

Posted on: 2013/11/2 22:50
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Looking at my 56 it would be the front bumper and side moldings. The 55 photo from parts manual also looks to be the same with wider front bumpers.

On each side, the chrome molding sticks out an inch or so. Rear bumpers are flush and front bumpers stick out about 3" per side.

Measuring the actual tire track, if driving absolutely straight on, 72" for the tires would be needed and it would be tight. As long as nothing sticks up higher than about 6-8" from the floor then the body should pass over. That would be the absolute minimum. At 80" width on the trailer, a good driver could do it if the wheel wells are not too high to prevent the door from opening -- but just make sure the door will open or you will have to crawl out a window.

Attach file:

jpg  (56.71 KB)
209_5275d0f94e627.jpg 720X491 px

Posted on: 2013/11/2 23:28
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard0
See User information
One good thing is, on the driver's side of the Uhaul trailer the wheel cover drops down so you can open the door and get in and out of the car no problem. So, the front bumper will obviously be toward front of the trailer and the main concern will be that each door area will not be to close to each wheel cover as it sits while being towed.

Posted on: 2013/11/3 7:21
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved