Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
100 user(s) are online (71 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 98

Guscha, easyriderhatch, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

PS Pump Pressure Hose
Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Hall
See User information
Can anyone tell me the thread size & flaring type of the male fitting, for the pressure hose coming into the pump ? It is the line on the right in the attached pic.

(Big Kev I hope you don't mind that I "borrowed" a pic of your PS pump from the project blog thread :)

Thanks,
Joe

Attach file:

jpg  (77.19 KB)
228_52a7bd0f4ad02.jpg 1280X853 px

Posted on: 2013/12/10 20:17
 Top  Print   

Re: PS Pump Pressure Hose
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
heeeeey that pump looks familiar. heheheh

Posted on: 2013/12/10 22:25
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
It appears to be standard 3/8" inverted flare but I don't have a new inverted flare nut available to prove that or if it has some special thread. Unless someone else can confirm, I'll be glad to pick up a nut and investigate farther but if it's an urgent need then I may not have the info that quickly.

Attach file:

jpg  (41.37 KB)
209_52a88bcad6462.jpg 640X442 px

Posted on: 2013/12/11 11:03
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Those fittings are classified by the outside diameter (OD) of the tubing. So take your wrenches and find which wrench fits over the line. For example 7/16 wrench.

The flare is standard double flare but that is a high pressure line and you need to buy the line pre-bent. The threads are SAE fractional.

Any hydraulic place that does forklifts should be able to help you if you don't want to buy a line from the popular suppliers.

Posted on: 2013/12/11 11:18
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Hall
See User information
I have tried a 3/8" pipe fitting, and the threads do not fit. What I have found to fit is the #6 fitting for an AC system. A #6 is the smallest of three lines in the AC, and connects condenser to drier. The other two AC lines, #8 and #10, are larger. So if I can just figure out what the #6 line, male fitting is correctly called, then I have the threads figured out.

As for the flare, I understand there are 45 degree angles and there are 38 degree angles. The 38 is per AN and SAE spec, but unsure about the 45. Also, there is a spec sometimes called, "power steering only". Also, of course I'd want the PS fitting to be mild steel instead of aluminum.

So, I was hoping someone here would know, without me having to swim upstream on this project ofinstalling a 55-56 Packard PS pump on a 56J. I did so before, long ago on another 56J, and it worked great, was smaller, and cleared the water-pump pulley better. But that pump was off a Nash, and had a 90 degree adapter coming off the pump itself, which plugged into the OEM 56J pump line perfectly. So, long story short, I am now trying to replicate that adapter. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Joe

Posted on: 2013/12/11 11:30
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Here is a guideline for the measuring standard flare sizes.http://www.gates.com/brochure.cfm?brochure=3109&location_id=3006

If the #6AC fitting fits then the tubing should be 3/8" and AC typically uses 45 degree. Whether you will find a 90 degree adapter to convert that pump inverted flare to something else might be an interesting search. There are straight adapters for inverted to regular SAE flare but didn't see any 90's other than pipe to flare. As you found, pipe size thread isn't the same. That adapter may have been a Stude special item. Checking with or taking the pump to a local hydraulic shop and seeing what they could come up with would probably be the easiest.

Attach file:

jpg  (11.30 KB)
209_52a89b9f6ed22.jpg 178X224 px

jpg  (9.80 KB)
209_52a89ba93b9b7.jpg 268X156 px

Posted on: 2013/12/11 12:09
Howard
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved