Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
109 user(s) are online (80 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 108

Don Shields, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Chrome V/8 valve covers
Home away from home
Home away from home

56executive
See User information
any idea what these covers may have looked like?

Attach file:

jpg  (120.21 KB)
1052_4deb9a0b0fe24.jpg 1275X848 px

Posted on: 2011/6/5 10:00
 Top  Print   

Re: Chrome V/8 valve covers
Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
On my 55 Pat FWIW:

Resized Image

Resized Image

Posted on: 2011/6/5 10:56
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I've only seen the standard issue like Craig shows but I'll throw in a wild guess worth about as much as free advice.

With the date, new part # and need for a name plate, seems unlikely it would be for a Packard unless they were coming out with a new engine name. Wasn't there a high performance package listed in the RPO that no one seems to have seen or at least has much info on. Maybe something to go along with that or with what you have on your Exec. Otherwise if not that, believe Clippers had a decal and I think Studebakers did also over a plain cover so perhaps for one of those.

At any rate, will be interesting to see what some of you guys that have all this forgotten information comes up with.

Posted on: 2011/6/5 11:12
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
The price list shows 6480792 at .45 .75 .56.
The other numbers don't appear in the price list.

Posted on: 2011/6/5 15:20
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If those prices are cents, then maybe not a decal but some kind of stamping--or were decals that high back then. None of the numbers appear in the last revised Packard parts index otherwise I'm sure Roscoe wouldn't have asked the question. Did Studebaker ever put out any numerical index later than the July or Aug 56 revision that's in most of the parts books.

Posted on: 2011/6/5 15:34
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
My SWAG would be Nash or Hudson. My brochures for 55 at least show plain valve covers with "Jetfire V8" and Hornet V8 decals respectively. Probably the same for 56.

Incidentally,there is an inside Nash training filmstrip for the salesmen where the the Ambassador V8 is described as a "hard sell".

Having driven one on the back roads around here, I can see why. It reminded me of doing a Polka with a fat lady.

Posted on: 2011/6/5 15:57
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
I think I'll mention that to the PAC board for the next convention. You doing a polka with a fat lady is something we would all pay to see. Good entertainment doesn't come cheap anymore.

Posted on: 2011/6/5 21:59
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
FWIW, I've never seen the plain rocker covers with factory chrome or any literature offering chrome as an option on them. The Studebaker, Hudson and Nash all used decals on painted rockers.

jack vines

Posted on: 2011/6/6 10:26
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Look at the original document in the first post above. It is titled a WORK ORDER and not a PO. My guess is that PMCC R&D decided to MAKE some such parts for whatever reason. That is WORK on making some such parts as in to fabricate some parts. Not an order to SEND some already existing parts to any where or anyone.

As for the part numbers listed??? who knows. Note the 14/5 hours hand written in the above right corner. Probably some time estimate to FABRICATE the parts.

Posted on: 2011/6/6 11:23
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
So what dept woul;d have been 88851????? thus far it looks strictly in house to pMCC.

Posted on: 2011/6/6 11:26
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved