Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
120 user(s) are online (89 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 119

PackardSanta, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Vacuum reservoir
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Walter Schoepf
See User information
On my 1955 Caribbean there is a Vacuum reservoir under the drives side fender. Question is what hose does supply that vacuum reservoir and where does it lead to. A little information on that would be appreciated.
By the way, the information I received last week on the vacuum for the washer motor worked out great. Thanks for the help!

Posted on: 2012/7/9 19:22
 Top  Print   

Re: Vacuum reservoir
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
The reservoir is for the power brakes. You should be able to follow the hose down to the brakes and the "T" connection there and then follow the hose up to a fitting on the back of the carburetor.

Posted on: 2012/7/9 19:27
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Walter Schoepf
See User information
thanks for the help... now is there somewhere a Vacuum Diagram avalable on line that shows the set up?

Posted on: 2012/7/10 11:28
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Perhaps, but you really shouldn't need it, it's as simple as Randy says. The line originates at the carburetor base (intake manifold on some models/years), goes to the power brake booster "T" and continues on from there and terminates at the reservoir tank.

Posted on: 2012/7/10 12:05
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I don't recall seeing a published brake vacuum diagram for 55-6 -- just one for wiper/washer setup. There is a diagram applicable for most 52-4 brakes in Service Counselor Vol26 #5. Route is slightly different on V8s though because of engine and newer BTVs.

As Randy and O_D mentioned, very straightforward. Comes off the check valve at rear of carb, slight loop back to firewall and then toward drivers side. Goes under the accelerator bracket. There may be a clamp in that area. Mine then dips down slightly but crosses above steering column into the tee. A short length drops down to BTV connection and rest continues on below fresh air vent and emerg brake mechanism to come up again with a vertical stretch into the reservoir.

Tried a picture which isn't much help because of the stuff in the way so here is a sketch as mine is. Hopefully, it is correctly done and is the same on all. My car has fact AC so some things are located a bit differently.

Attach file:

jpg  (30.00 KB)
209_4ffc7f81e9bd1.jpg 787X421 px

Posted on: 2012/7/10 14:16
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Howard you are missing a lot of parts forward of the firewall!

Posted on: 2012/7/10 19:44
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
You noticed! I thought Packard put too many extraneous things on so thought I'd see if it would work without some. It didn't very well and there was a draft.

Posted on: 2012/7/10 19:50
Howard
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Walter Schoepf
See User information
Thanks a lot to all of you. You been a great help and i am sure i will call on you again before the project is done.
Walter

Posted on: 2012/7/11 10:06
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved