Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
119 user(s) are online (87 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 118

humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Sta-bil, Marine Sta-bil Which is preferable---or both?
Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
Went to a car lunch with my car a few days ago and was asked if I had added Sta-bil yet. When told "no" I was rewarded with a free fill of the marine version, which is green, I was also told to go ahead and use "regular" Sta-bil.

The reason given was that the marine version keeps the alcohol from separating out.

Why doesn't regular Sta-bil do that? Or has my friend been listening too much to the internet?

Any useful thoughts on this?

Posted on: 2012/12/16 22:07
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Re: Sta-bil, Marine Sta-bil Which is preferable---or both?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I've used the regular for several years and it seems to do the job. They both do the same thing but the mfg does claim more strength from the marine version. Not sure what they mean by "ethanol blended" unless it is what your friend says about the separation.

Perhaps the extra cleaner and corrosion inhibitor would be beneficial if the car sits for long periods. Price is slightly different but not outrageously so. I may give it a go on the next purchase since mine is one that mostly sits.

Attach file:

jpg  (14.61 KB)
209_50cea9c434702.jpg 484X131 px

jpg  (16.67 KB)
209_50cea9cdddb85.jpg 518X127 px

Posted on: 2012/12/17 0:12
Howard
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Tomlempicke
See User information
We bought a new boat this summer. Mercury Marine is officially telling owners to put StaBil Marine in every tank of gas. The market it under their name and packaging and have three different grades, or strengths.

During the briefing our dealer pointed out that we have several gas stations in the area that are now selling ethanol free fuel. He suggested that I run the boat only on that fuel.

Well I did that but in addition I started using ethanol free in our old cars. WOW - what a difference! They idle better, run better and are quieter.

Apple even has an ap that will find the nearest gas station with ethanol free fuel.

Posted on: 2012/12/17 7:48
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
After noting that the 2-cycle gasoline mix in my chain saw and leaf blower stays fresh even though they are only used about once annually, I've switched from Sta-Bil to 2-cycle oil, about 1 pint in 20 gallons, and have had no problems whatsoever. May layup period for the cars is about 3-4 months so perhaps Sta-Bil would be better for more prolonged periods? Ethanol-free gasoline is not available in my state.

I doubt the claim that Sta-Bil "removes" water could be substantiated.

Another step I take in laying up the cars for the winter is to use a piece of polyethylene over the gas tank filler opening before putting the cap on; this pretty much makes the tank air-tight and prevents possible entry of air and and any moisture it might contain. As an aside, a discussion of what steps various folks take when they "winterize" their cars for long storage might be a topic worth exploring.

Posted on: 2012/12/17 9:20
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

RogerDetroit
See User information
+1 on what Tom said. Everybody should now switch from Stabil to MARINE Stabil.

Regular Stabil helps to keep (regular) gas from going stale.

MARINE Stabil helps to avoid "phase separation" in ethanol diluted fuel.

Overtime, as E10 sits around in your tank the ethanol begins to separate from the mixture. Once ethanol starts this separation it has a much better chance of attracting water and causing problems. Ethanol is hydroscopic, meaning it has an affinity to absorb water. Naturally, boats are near water and the fuel acts as a sponge in the damp environment.

Also, ethanol is in a more highly concentrated state once is separates and is more corrosive to carb parts and rubber parts in the fuel system. So between the corrosive effects and introducing water into the system you need to avoid "phase separation."

MARINE Stabil is supposed to keep the ethanol from separating from the mixture.

Boats are similar to our cars. They are used infrequently and fuel sits around in the tank. They have an open fuel system that allows air to enter and are not a closed system as in our modern cars. More importantly, the EPA has not approved the use of E10 in heavy-duty vehicles, boats, motorcycles, power equipment, lawn mowers and off-road vehicles.

Personally, I too am seeking out non-ethanol fuel, that is, real gas for my Packards and I can get it at most marinas around here.

Otherwise MARINE Stabil or another product I've had good luck with Startron is the way to go.

Hope this explanation helps.

Posted on: 2012/12/17 10:09
-

1941 Model 160 Convertible Sedan
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved