Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
113 user(s) are online (75 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 111

John Sauser, bear, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Correction --Best price Optima battery source, free shipping
Home away from home
Home away from home

su8overdrive
See User information
Summit Racing, 1 (800) 230-3030. Just bought an Optima Red Top, 6-volt, 800 cold cranking amp battery for my '47 Super last week, $135.97 including overnight shipping. This was $40-50 less than everyone else i called around the country even without Summit's free shipping on any order above $100.
BTW, my previous Optima lasted just five months shy of 10 years.

Not here to debate batteries. If you want to stick with
those off-gassing, heavy, lead acid monstrosities, have at it. If you're a trophy hound, Antique Auto Battery, Youngstown, Ohio, 1 (800) 426-7580 sells faux original cases to disguise your Optima. I could care less, since I now,
in addition to saving another 30 lbs. dead weight at the front end of these already nose-heavy, understeering Packards, can use most of my battery tray as a place to put tools when i'm working on the car.

AAB also has a bolt-in 55-amp, 6-volt, positive-ground alternator for our 1940-50 356 engines with a perfectly-sized, custom-made pulley made from an original I sent them. Tell Jim a '47 Packard Super-8 in Walnut Creek, CA sent you.

Again, not here to debate "originality," since some of us
have long since made our bones in that dept. and prefer
faster battery recovery, easier starting, brighter head and tail lights. No butchering, none, so any time you miss your 35-amp generator --- that doesn't put out at idle or low speed, and not 35 amps 'til 2,000 engine rpm --- you can switch back.

In addition to this win-win, the alternator saves weight. We remain mystified why so many Packardites don't comprehend "weight is the enemy." Bentley did with their Continental R- and S-types, while Packard was aping GM hohum like the Buick Skylark, Cad Eldorado with their Caribbean. 200+ lbs. more than a standard Packard convertible with the same power. A dummy hood air scoop. Wire wheels and other crapola. That's "sporty?" But as mentioned, the Company was phoning in the cars, focusing on their more lucrative jet engine contracts, since the party was over for all independents.

Less, as they say, is more.

But then, i never felt a need to put a prewar gargoyle on
my hood, or have every option just because a Packard dealer
purveyed it, let alone burden my balanced engine
with an air conditioner compressor. Sure it can handle it.
The windows go down just fine without power assist. We oft forget that Packard had to be competitive to harpoon Mr. and Mrs. Jelly Chin Gotrocks, as the late Maurice Hendry called such folk, as well as those wanting a luxe road car.

Obviously, AAB can supply the above for other Packards.

Posted on: 2013/10/16 15:26
 Top  Print   

Re: Correction --Best price Optima battery source, free shipping
Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim McDermaid
See User information
I too have a 6 Volt Optima in my 54 Cavalier and have had no problems whatsoever.

Been in there a year.

Got it at Batteries Plus with no shipping cost.

Jim

Posted on: 2013/10/18 11:59
 Top  Print   

Re: Correction --Best price Optima battery source, free shipping
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Dear Su8:

Verifiable experience reports are always valuable.

When I was overseas we replaced lots of Optimas that went bad because they were being deep cycled. So I don't say anything about them because my experience is not appropriate.

Posted on: 2013/10/18 20:43
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved