Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
152 user(s) are online (112 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 152

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Electrical question please
Home away from home
Home away from home

RichieFuller
See User information
I have a question about the starting system on my 47 deluxe Clipper. I like most things on my old cars pretty much the way they came from the factory but I'm not a purist. I don't want to ruffle any feathers here, but is there an easy way to change the starting system so you don't start the engine wide open. Starting a cold engine should be an easy, fast idle kind of start in my opinion. I release the gas pedal as quickly as possible, but the engine revs pretty high at first. Any way to add a start button to eliminate the high RPM at start up? Thanks, Richie.

Posted on: 2014/5/5 19:43
 Top  Print   

Re: Electrical question please
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The easiest way and something very common in the day was to add a Ford type starter button in parallel with the carb switch. Frequently added under the edge of the dash out of sight so all you had to do was reach under.

There are any number of heavy duty pushbuttons available today that would do the job. The solenoid does have a good current draw so just be sure the switch you use has a decent amp capacity. It can be easily done by running a pair of wires from the button directly to the carb and just connecting to the two screw terminals on the carb switch. That way either switch will do the job. Typically to use the button, you would keep the ign off and press the gas pedal to set the choke then turn on the ign and use the button to start the car.

If you use original type cloth covered wire and run them in a length of the old school woven fabric loom the added wires would not look too out of place. If you are going to show the car then it would be noticeable and points deducted.

Posted on: 2014/5/5 20:04
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
Does it have the pedal start feature? The one that sends the starter wire through the carburetor to the selenoid?
If yes, you can by-pass that.

Posted on: 2014/5/5 20:05
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

RichieFuller
See User information
HH56, thank you. My Hudsons have the push buttons and I have a couple extras, so that should work out just fine.
You are saying just add the starter button wires to the terminals on the carb switch in addition to the ones already there, that is easy enough.
Thank you again HH56, I appreciate your help. Richie

Posted on: 2014/5/5 20:34
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

RichieFuller
See User information
Fish'n Jim, yes it has the pedal start feature. Thank you for your comment. Richie.

Posted on: 2014/5/5 20:37
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
You are saying just add the starter button wires to the terminals on the carb switch in addition to the ones already there

That is the idea. The carb switch will still be functional and the PB would also be functional. If you do want to totally eliminate the carb switch then you would need to remove the wires from carb switch and splice them to the PB wires.

There may be enough room to run the wires or extra loom cover thru the opening in front of the driver where the main loom exits although it might be a tight squeeze. There should also be some room in the opening at the upper corner of the hump where the speedo cable, temp gauge, and OD cable pass thru.

Posted on: 2014/5/5 20:42
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

RichieFuller
See User information
HH56, I'll leave the carb switch in the system. How does the system know "not" to engage the starter say when I'm driving along at 35 mph and floor it. Something has to keep it from trying to start. Anyway, thanks HH56. Richie.

Posted on: 2014/5/5 21:27
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If the switch is assembled properly, once the engine starts vacuum will pull a steel ball up into a passage. That ball is the connection between the accelerator mechanism and the switch mechanism. Once the ball is up and out of position there is no connection between the two parts. When the engine is stopped the vacuum disappears and ball falls down into position for the next start. Here is a description of the mechanical operation out of an old Motors Manual.

Attach file:

pdf Size: 285.77 KB; Hits: 44

Posted on: 2014/5/5 21:40
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

RichieFuller
See User information
Wow, what a system. Great explanation HH56, and once again thank you. Richie.

Posted on: 2014/5/5 22:19
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

RichieFuller
See User information
HH56, job is complete. I ran the wires from the P/B to the carb switch and left the original wires there. The wires go from the P/B through the firewall with the speedometer cable and temp cable, perfect fit. I ran the wires inside an existing loom that the P/O put on. Now the car starts the second I hit the start button, no more turning over and over. I kind of hid the P/B under the dash where the overdrive cable would have been if it had overdrive. Thanks again HH56. Richie.

Posted on: 2014/5/7 15:50
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved