Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
123 user(s) are online (78 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 123

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

old wires need to be replaced.
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

harrybar
See User information
I need to replace all the wires in the engine compartment and under the car in my 1947 Clipper. The insulation just crumbles when I take off the wrapping. Many wires were repaired with electrical tape.
I am considering making up my own harnesses using the right color wires except for the ones with tracers, but I would like to wrap them with something that looks like the original wrapping. Is there such a thing?.
I may have to use friction tape.

Posted on: 2012/4/9 5:44
 Top  Print   

Re: old wires need to be replaced.
Home away from home
Home away from home

Phil Randolph
See User information
http://www.narragansettreproductions.com orhttp://www.riwire.com can supply you with the proper color wires or complete harnesses. If you really want to make your own harnesshttp://www.painlesswiring.com/ make a woven looking covering material.

Posted on: 2012/4/9 6:13
1938 1601 Club Coupe
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
You might also inquire at RIwiring if they still offer the braiding service. At one time they would braid custom made looms from an owner if it met certain criteria.

If you do make your own with modern wire, downside I found on some I made is not enough colors at retail stores. Can get confusing if you have to overlap. Even special ordering in quantity via wire vendors has gaps. Going to one of the harness suppliers and purchase by the foot is an option but then it can get almost as expensive as just getting a complete new loom from them.

Several have installed universal looms at a fairly reasonable cost. 6 volt or "heavy duty" looms are available at a couple of suppliers. Would avoid their regular looms unless you've converted to 12v.

At any rate, if you make your own the Painless loom cover is a good idea but not quite authentic either. I would avoid the friction tape and purchase non gummed vinyl harness wrap instead. It resembles vinyl electrical tape and while not authentic for that year, believe it was used starting in 22nd or 23rd series. Tapes seem to get gummy and start unwinding or coming loose after being exposed to the heat of engine compartment.

Posted on: 2012/4/9 8:57
Howard
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

harrybar
See User information
I really appreciate the responses. I will call these vendors.

Posted on: 2012/4/9 19:26
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved