Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
161 user(s) are online (47 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 159

cityrenovators, Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1951 Ultramatic Transmission
Just popping in
Just popping in

Paul Walter
See User information
Guys:I have found that maybe every 12th time I attempt to back out of the garage, I have to rev the engine considerably to get the car moving in reverse. And once out of the garage and backing down the steep hill out my my driveway (80 feet)in reverse , a steady stream of transmission fluid has pumped out the whole length( I guess through the overflow vent on top of the T. housing). Once I drop into "H" and drive down the road the flow ceases to exist. What is causing this intermittent event, and outside of a rebuild, what can I do differently to prevent this from happening?

Concerned in Ohio

Posted on: 9/19 12:05
 Top  Print   

Re: 1951 Ultramatic Transmission
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Are you sure you are not overfilling it?

Posted on: 9/19 12:46
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
When these cars sit for a while the fluid in the torque convertor drains back into the case. It can take while for it to pump back in into the convertor. That make the trans very sluggish to do anything at first and might lead to the excess fluid being thrown out the breather as you back down the hill. So the cure would be let the car sit and run for a bit before backing out.

Otherwise, a slow reverse engagement, especially when cold, is because of the seals on the piston that operate reverse being as hard as elephants toenails.

Posted on: 9/19 12:48
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Paul,

Another possibility is that your front pump is worn to the point that it does not prime effectively. I know a guy with a 230k mile Ultramatic car, who said he had to wait like a whole minute before the transmission would function properly. (His car is repaired by now.)

As Ross implied, if you are trying to back out of the garage literally seconds after starting the car, you need to wait a bit longer. I am assuming you're waiting at least 10 sec or so and still noticing this.

Where are you at in Ohio? I'm in Pittsburgh.

Posted on: 9/19 14:06
1955 400 | Registry | Project Blog
1955 Clipper Deluxe | Registry | Project Blog
1955 Clipper Super Panama | Registry
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Upcoming Events
46th Annual Texas Packard Meet
04/03/2025 - 04/06/2025
Packard Salon - Calling All Twelves
05/27/2025 - 05/29/2025
58th Annual National Meet
05/31/2025 - 06/06/2025
AACA Fall Meet (Hershey)
10/06/2025 - 10/10/2025
South Pacific Packard Club 2026 Rally
03/22/2026 - 03/28/2026
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved