Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
81 user(s) are online (37 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 79

Greg Kiker, BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1933/34 Gas/Oil Toggle Switch
Just popping in
Just popping in

Joebeeker
See User information
Good Evening to everyone on this form.

I am helping a friend who recently acquired a 1933 Club Sedan. We are currently making the car ready for the road. The car has been restored a number of years ago, but not driven for a number of years except to go to shows. So the first problem was the Gas Gauge was not working.

So we had to drop the tank and do a tank internal cleaning to get all the crud and rust out.

Next we sent the gauge sending unit out for overhaul and it came back.

We then remounted the sending unit and reinstalled the tank, but the gauge still would not work.

We then dropped the tank again and made sure the sending unit was mechanically free and working which it was.

We then wired the sending unit into the car wiring system using jumper wires and moved the float but the gauge still did not work.

We then found this neat little push-button on the dash the that lets the Gas Gauge double as a Crankcase Oil level gauge. When we push button the gauge moves showing a level but still did show a gas level when released so it must be the switch.

We removed the switch which was very simple and noticed the switch would not make contact for the Gas Gauge position. I tried to rebuild the switch and have it working temporally.

So after all this explaining we are in need of this push-button switch (Packard Part Number 197492).

Does any on this board know where we could acquire this switch and to make matters harder this switch was used only on 1933 and 1934 Packards.

Thanks in advance.

Joebeeker

Posted on: 2011/8/10 22:16
 Top  Print   

Re: 1933/34 Gas/Oil Toggle Switch
Home away from home
Home away from home

Joel Ray
See User information
Joe, we have a member of our club (Motor City Packards) who is "Mr. 1933". His name is Bruce Blevins and he is listed in the Packard Club directory. He lives in the Flint, Michigan area and he may be able to help with the part or give good advice. He has reproduced a lot of 1933 items. If you have difficulty in finding him, send me a PM and I will get you the info you need to contact him.

Posted on: 2011/8/11 6:42
 Top  Print   

Re: 1933/34 Gas/Oil Toggle Switch
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Joe,
to PackardInfo. Good luck with the parts search for your friend.

Is it possible that your friend may also become a member of PackardInfo? If so, I invite him to include his '33 in the Packard Owner's Registry.

Posted on: 2011/8/11 7:16
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved