Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
126 user(s) are online (84 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 125

colin voice, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Gages on back of front seat?!
Home away from home
Home away from home

Garrett Meadows
See User information
Again, while watching "American Pickers," they were picking the collection of auto-related items of a fellow whose father was a car designer and had even designed his own Cord knock-off.

In his father's Cord knock-off, there was a set of gages on the back of the front seat, which he said were fairly common in upper-end cars that were often chauffeur driven, allowing the backseat occupant to see speed, gas level, etc. hence the origination of the term "backseat driver" who would often tell the driver to slow down, get gas, etc.

just wondering if any of Packard's limos had gages on the back of the front seat?

as always
Garrett M

PS: sorry for the sloppy typing and poorly written prose, but I sliced open the end of my left index finger with a utility knife.

Posted on: 2016/9/4 20:52
 Top  Print   

Re: Gages on back of front seat?!
Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi Garrett

Other than a clock, the only luxury cars that were fitted with rear seat gauges such as speedometer usually had custom coach-built bodies.

A well-known example was the first Duesenberg J Torpedo dual-cowl phaeton by Brunn, designed by Gordon Beuhrig, ordered with a rear seat speedometer, mostly intended to impress passengers with the performance capabilities of the Duesenberg.

The other reason to have a rear seat speedometer was for the dowager to monitor the chauffeur's handling of the motorcar. The two Marmon Sixteen seven passenger touring by Waterhouse order by the Rockefeller family used the cars to tour their estate grounds. Apparently the 20 mph demanded drove the chauffeurs crazy, they fudged the gearing for the rear seat speedometer a bit to show the required mph while travelling faster.... Ah, the peculiarities of the wealthy aristocracy.

Steve

Posted on: 2016/9/5 8:12
.....epigram time.....
Proud 1953 Clipper Deluxe owner. Thinking about my next Packard, want a Clipper Deluxe Eight, manual shift with overdrive.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Garrett Meadows
See User information
Hi Steve!

Thanks for the info. I appreciate it. I still marvel at my naivety when watching reality TV shows thinking that whatever the people say, they actually know what they're talking about, especially whenever they use terms such as "usually," "always," "often", or "...it was routine...."

So, when the fellow said that upper-end cars, specifically limos, "usually" had a set of gages on the back of the front seat, I was little suspect. Your info cleared that up right away.

And, yes, great wealth does allow individuals to indulge their most trivial whim.

as always
Garrett Meadows

Posted on: 2016/9/5 8:22
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
Those picker guys act like they know it all but it seems to me they just know enough to be dangerous. I think most the time they make history on the spot.

Posted on: 2016/9/5 9:00
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you

Bad company corrupts good character!

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Garrett Meadows
See User information
I agree. I have to keep reminding myself they are out to make a big profit.

I guess the main reason I watch the show is I like seeing the stuff some people have accumulated, some of the stuff is one of a kind. Also, I like seeing the collections, especially of signage and auto-related stuff. AND, occasionally, some Packard items show up.

A couple of days ago, the guys bought two Packard Swan hood-ornaments. There was one episode where the guys happened upon a 1932 shovel nose Packard moldering away under boxes, crates, and black plastic trash-bags.

Still, some of the info I hear does prompt me to visit this forum and get the straight dope.

as always
Garrett M

Posted on: 2016/9/5 10:44
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
Swan

Posted on: 2016/9/5 14:15
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
Well it's still better than someone calling it a goose!

Posted on: 2016/9/5 14:42
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you

Bad company corrupts good character!

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Garrett Meadows
See User information
Don't be too hard on me. I was only repeating what the guy on "American Pickers" called it.

Keep in mind, what I know about Packards would barely fill a shot-glass.

G

Posted on: 2016/9/5 17:42
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
Quote:

skateboardgumby wrote:
Don't be too hard on me. I was only repeating what the guy on "American Pickers" called it.

Keep in mind, what I know about Packards would barely fill a shot-glass.

G

What the "pickers" apparently don't know is that aftermarket knock offs of genuine Packard ornaments were usually known as "swans" to avoid using names Packard would have used.

And there were jillions of knock-off Packard-looking ornaments sold in the aftermarket. They even had them for bicycles.

Of course this kicks the door open on the age-old debate of "Cormorant" versus "Pelican"... and no way I'll go there!

Posted on: 2016/9/5 19:23
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
No worries bro! My grandpa used to look at me weird when I called it a swan too. Mostly why I posted that. Some say swan, but most say cormorant

Posted on: 2016/9/5 19:24
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved