Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
146 user(s) are online (111 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 144

Todd W. White, Scott, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 4 ... 11 »

All wiring nominal and TL not working
Home away from home
Home away from home

Robert Freeman
See User information
I've gone as far as I know how in returning my TL system back to nominal. The cars rear end is sitting on the ground and the manual switch doesn't work to raise it up.

The only thing that I can think of doing is to run 12 volts directly to the red wire terminal on the TL motor. Will this raise the car off the ground?

Posted on: 2011/5/19 22:18
Bob

IF EVERYTHING IS COMING YOUR WAY ...
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
YOU'RE IN THE WRONG LANE!

'56 Executive Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Re: All wiring nominal and TL not working
Home away from home
Home away from home

Robert Freeman
See User information
I'll have to wait until the morning because the battery is now dead. Before the battery went I did hear both TL solenoids 'click',but the whole TL system seems to be so bound up to move anywhere.

Posted on: 2011/5/19 22:49
Bob

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55clipper
See User information
Has the system ever worked since you had the car? Just for trouble shooting, in the past I have run the hot lead to the motor. If the motor doesn't work that way, it is a pretty good indication that something is bound up or maybe the motor is bad. Be careful with this method of troubleshooting, you are bypassing the limit switches.

Posted on: 2011/5/19 22:57
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Robert Freeman
See User information
The TL could be manually worked with two switches that were wired up to the TL solenoids. The automatic function of the TL system has not worked since a mechanic had re-wired the stop light switch. I've corrected all the wiring and installed a 3-position manual TL switch and harness from Max Merritt.

Posted on: 2011/5/19 23:05
Bob

Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I would verify the position of the mechanical parts are oriented per the top view in SM fig 21 before doing anything. If something electrically already bypassed the limit switches, the compensator arm can make almost a half revolution before the bars try to cross center. This will place the levers on opposite sides of the illustration. If they continue on, serious damage could happen if energized. Hopefully this has not already happened and is the reason the motor won't move. If there is plenty of room, and transverse levers are on correct sides, then assuming things are wired per schematic power to the red wire which should be on "A" will move the motor to raise the rear.

Posted on: 2011/5/19 23:40
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
The TL could be manually worked with two switches that were wired up to the TL solenoids.
That sounds like part of your problem right there. Make sure those wires are disconnected, then remove those switches.
Follow HH56 advice and verify the position of the arms. It sounds like someone who didn't really understand the TL system jury-rigged something that bypassed the limit switches.
Be very careful as you work on this so that you are not injured #1. And that no part of the system is broken or bent #2. You can disconnect the actuating link from the TL control so that you can move the lever manually to verify what is working. Check the wiring thru the limit switches for continuity. They can be repaired if any wiring is broken.
Let us know what you find. The TL control unit may not be functioning properly and that is the reason that someone installed those switches.

Posted on: 2011/5/20 0:13
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Robert Freeman
See User information
I do need to know the exact wiring of the compensator control box as well as the brake light switch. It seems that miswiring of these components might be an issue. Are there close-up photos or diagrams of these so I can see which color wire goes where?

Posted on: 2011/5/20 6:40
Bob

Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Help yourself - the diagrams are in both the shop manual and the Service Counselors which you can browse here on site.

Posted on: 2011/5/20 8:42
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Here is an extraction of the TL system. The one for 56 shows the factory manual switch wired in. Any colors not listed would be per the wiring diagram colors or accessory looms as shipped.https://www.packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/wirediagrams/55-56%20TL%20Schem.pdf

No close up photos of brake switch but it is a typical switch with a common with a normally open contact and a normally closed contact. Perhaps someone can look at theirs to verify the wire locations. I don't have one to help with, having converted to a mechanical switch.

Posted on: 2011/5/20 8:50
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Robert Freeman
See User information
Quote:

HH56 wrote:
I would verify the position of the mechanical parts are oriented per the top view in SM fig 21 before doing anything. If something electrically already bypassed the limit switches, the compensator arm can make almost a half revolution before the bars try to cross center. This will place the levers on opposite sides of the illustration. If they continue on, serious damage could happen if energized. Hopefully this has not already happened and is the reason the motor won't move. If there is plenty of room, and transverse levers are on correct sides, then assuming things are wired per schematic power to the red wire which should be on "A" will move the motor to raise the rear.

Bad news...
The lever bars are on the opposite side than the SM Fig. 21 shows. How can I get this situation righted?

BTW - when I hookup the battery, the 30A fuse blows right away.

Posted on: 2011/5/20 14:40
Bob

Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 4 ... 11 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved