Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
122 user(s) are online (79 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 122

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Looked at These Post War Projects Today
Home away from home
Home away from home

Larry51
See User information
I'd have to agree with others - 'Herculean effort' is one thing, and the re-constitution of rusted panels alone will cost buckets. Then there will be the running gear that has been subjected to water for many years. Most every part can be found but a badly decomposed body as a starting point is a hard slog.

My motto (now - after 10 years of restoring a "moderately rusted" '51) is to find a reasonable driver and start there. You will be $5k - $10k ahead for starters. (Of course, that's predicated on not having a generous relative with a body shop business). There are many who have loved a similar Herculean challenge because they have achieved a beautiful restoration and saved a 'convicted Packard' on Death Row, despite the effort and the extra cost involved. It boils down to 'being aware' of what's ahead.

Posted on: 2013/6/23 6:55
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BryanMoran
See User information
Yes I have decided not to get involved in the 21st series Clipper but it's rare when a 356 equipped Super Clipper comes up for sale in your backyard.

These projects are virtually non existent. They are either like this and unrestorable or they are much more.

This car was a very interesting and viable project when parked. The kids smashed out the windows at some point. It sank into the ground. 20 years ago this would have been a nice one to restore.

Posted on: 2013/6/23 8:16
I restore the car, and the car restores me.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BryanMoran
See User information
Focus turns to the 1950 Super Deluxe. I did some more research on this website. It has the same wheelbase as the Custom 8, the same grille and rear treatment and has the 327.

I wish I would have taken a closer look around it. These cars were in a cow pasture with high weeds and thistles. It was 91 and humid so I wore shorts and a T.

All the benefits of a Custom 8 without the hard to duplicate interior.

Posted on: 2013/6/23 8:23
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BryanMoran
See User information
G'day Bryan,
As you're a stalwart on the AACA Website, I have followed many of your threads. Not the least being this recent one, and gladly you to PackardInfo.

And now you're here, I invite you to include your 22nd series Custom 8 Sedan, as well as any of the farm Packards if you should purchase them, in the Packard Owner's Registry here on PackardInfo!

Thanks.

My 22nd series Custom 8 is stored on an acreage and I don't have the numbers. It is a rough project vehicle slated to go to a very professional restorer. I will grab the numbers when I get it relocated to my garage. I need to get a title.

I had some issues with one of the clubs. I had 9 cars. Sold all but 3. I bought a 72 Mercedes 450 SL convertible my daughter and I are restoring for her 1st car, and that left a very solid 49 Chrysler New Yorker club coupe and my Packard. I decided to put both on ebay and which ever one sold, I would buy another one of the make that did not sell and focus on that make.

Since the Chrysler is so much better, I figured I would soon be a Packard collector.

I sold all my titled cars, some nice originals that ran and drove and some titled projects. The 2 cars not running and without titles are not selling.

The problem is I don't want to give my cars away. We'll see. It would make more sense to keep both of these cars but I like the concept of collecting more then 1 of a make and joining a club supporting that make. I'm not much of a club joiner, I've never toured with anyone because I never consistently had nice cars.

Attach file:

jpg  (170.43 KB)
11618_51c6fb4722e30.jpg 1000X750 px

Posted on: 2013/6/23 8:42
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Bryan, Howard make a good point about the sun visor on the Clipper. This may be the most valuable part on the car. Too bad the Clipper is in such bad condition. They are great cars.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2013/6/23 14:49
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved