Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
267 user(s) are online (92 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 267

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Adjusting the PB actuator bench mock-up
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
That's bad. Check resistance to ground on all four motor wires, Green-Brown-Gray-Red. I am concerned, because I never ground the case until I have the unit working and am checking for shorts to ground, which can happen inside the motor and if the fingers are too long (that's pretty rare with my new fingers, I have an exacting length I cut them to.
You need adequate tension on all fingers and the contact segment needs to be in good condition, with the phenolic insert in the center in good condition, as tall as the two metal shorting bars. I install a Heli-coil in every unit now for the 3/8"-24 bolt on the back that maintains the position once adjusted on the trans.

Posted on: 2013/7/2 7:38
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hotrod
See User information
I'll do that thanks. BTW, I remember seeing somewhere on this forum instructions on heightening the rear of the front seat so it'll sit a little higher and not at an angle. Do you know where those instructions can be found?

Posted on: 2013/7/2 15:23
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Raising the front seat is a fairly simple job on a non-power seat. All you need are some spacers and longer bolts. It is surprising what a little height adjustment can make in the seating position. The same procedure may work on a power seat, but I have not had experience with this. Some here have also moved the seat assembly back for more leg room.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2013/7/2 15:32
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:
Raising the front seat is a fairly simple job on a non-power seat. All you need are some spacers and longer bolts. It is surprising what a little height adjustment can make in the seating position. The same procedure may work on a power seat, but I have not had experience with this. Some here have also moved the seat assembly back for more leg room.

V8 Power seats are held by threaded studs captured or sometimes welded to the track mounts. The nuts are located under the car -- 4 per side. There is another single stud for the power actuator anchor. It's about even with the back two and a foot or so in toward the center of car -- roughly above the compensator motor.

Most of the seats I've looked at have plywood shims on the front and nothing on the back. My 5697 has 3/8 thick but have seen thinner. You can add a shim to the back pair of bolts on each side to raise it. If you have shims in front and want to remove them instead, check and make sure the horiz motor won't drag against the carpet on the tunnel side as seat moves forward. Can't use more than about 5/8 inch total front or rear or you will run out of stud underneath.

Posted on: 2013/7/2 15:47
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Howard, you may have jogged my memory. The non-power seat may also have studs in the mounting frame and like the power seat and therefore only a small amount of shimming can be done to raise it before running out of stud. The 55 Clipper is not at home now to look at. However, it will become obvious to anyone who wants to do a height adjustment when they look at the seat mounting.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2013/7/2 16:49
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved