Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
110 user(s) are online (81 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 108

Packard51, BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Changing the Ultramatic for a Standard Transmission
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
I can't help it but these kind of situations strike my curiosity.

1. Who rebuilt the trans for u or what kind of Ultramatic experience did the rebuilder have or claim?????

2. Since Ultramaticdynamics is so close to u why didn't u just take it to UltramaticDynamics for rebuilding in the first place????

3. How many miles after the rebuild did the trans give trouble????

Posted on: 2009/6/22 8:04
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I had it in my mind that Peter Fitch (Ultramatic Dynamics) had given up rebuilding Ultramatics; if so you have Ross Miller in the same area who operates a pretty much full-time Packard shop and has a sterling reputation with Ultramatics. Either one would be able to do a first class job.

But I still wonder from your description if you don't understand how an Ultramatic functions; perhaps it's performing normally as it really doesn't shift in the traditional sense, it goes from a torque converter phase to a direct lockup via a clutch within the torque converter. Maybe you should let someone who is familiar with Ultramatic drive you car to see if they can confirm your suspicion.

Posted on: 2009/6/22 8:14
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
I'm assuming that the car is Push Button. Try this:

BEFORE selecting ANY range other than "P", FIRST select "N" and then select "H" or "D" or "R" or "L".

That is to say, always select NUETRAL before selecting any other range. The Push button shift is rather slow so give it time between selections and listen for the selection change.

Posted on: 2009/6/22 9:11
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
There is also a possibility that contact fingers on the back side of the push button unit (near the steering wheel) are broken or nearly broken off.

Posted on: 2009/6/22 9:14
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
What did the rebuilder say when you brought it back? If you did not bring it back you should. I worked in the auto repair field for years and I can tell you, anyone can make a mistake but a legitimate shop will fix their mistakes at no charge to you.

Posted on: 2009/6/22 9:20
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eugene Wescott
See User information
The rebuild was done by Packard Motorcars in So. Windsor, Ct. several years back. There was an older gent working there who had been a Packard mechanic at a local dealership who started the rebuild but was not able to finish it . So I can't verify if the problems I'm having are the result of the work done by the person who finished the job.

Needless to say, I'm trying to decide if it's worth keeping the Ultramatic and see if someone else can fix it once and for all so we can take it on a long trip without worry.

Thanks
Gene

Posted on: 2009/6/24 10:50
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eugene Wescott
See User information
Thanks, I'll give this a try. The Push Button selector on the transmission has not been done yet, so it sometimes misses the gear.

Gene

Posted on: 2009/6/24 10:53
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Loyd Smith
See User information
The Twin Ultra is, comparably speaking, not that complicated or mysterious but it is considerably different from what the average transmission rebuilder is used to looking at and working on. Further, as in my own experience, the average transmission mechanic, today, is not used to (or in some cases even familiar with the concept of) mechanical throttle linkage controlled shifts. Everything is controlled by computers nowadays.

You should, if you cannot get satisfaction from the shop that did your rebuild, have someone familiar with Ultramatics check yours out before junking it for something else that won't be any less troublesome in its setup and execution.

Mr. Pushbutton can advise you on that aspect of your setup and there are reputable, experienced folks in your area who should be able to diagnose your problem and fix it. Parts are available from Ultramatic Dynamics.

Leaving drag-racing and hot-rodding out of the equation, these transmission are dependable and smooth operating as most of the competition's were at the time they were built - AND they're PACKARD.

Posted on: 2009/6/24 11:57
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Eugene -

Your situation sounds similar to what I experienced with one of my '56 Patricians, which was also equipped with the push button selector - though I haven't had it out on the road in well over a decade.

At times, it would not automatically shift up into high range from low. If I pushed the H button when that happened, I could hear the shift actuator motor turning, but high range would not always engage. If I pushed N, waited, and then pushed H again, high range would kick in (eventually). Yet, if I started out in high, all seemed fine.

Mind you, this was a car that had sat unused, but stored in a garage, for over 20 years - with about 60K on the clock when I found it. In resurrecting that car from its tomb, I had gone through the mechanicals from stem to stern - including a complete draining of the tranny fluid, cleaning the filter screen, and refilling with Dexron ATF.

Unfortunately, I didn't know enough, back then, to also clean the governors, but I later found what could be a relevant article in an issue of the Studebaker Service Bulletin. It recommended dropping the pan and checking the (selector) control valve position in conjunction with adjusting the position of the shift actuator motor. There's also good article, in another issue, on checks and adjustments that address malfunctions of the push button system.

Please check out the "Ultramatic" section of this website's Service Index feature - look for topics that start with "Push Button Control". In addition to the factory shop manual, there's also an Auto-Lite manual on the push button system archived here. If you can't do the work yourself, perhaps someone in your area can, with benefit of these bulletins and manuals, but let us know what you find and if we can be of further help.

If the problem proves to be elusive, yet seems to be with the push button system, then - as others have noted - our distinguished member, Mr.Pushbutton, might be of further help. Otherwise, I'd recommend you contact Ultramatic Dynamics - as others have pointed out.

Posted on: 2009/6/24 12:02
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
"Tranny issues continue to plague the car, now it does not shift into the high gear so the fluid gets hot, etc. Today I tried to start in D and it would not shift out of low and in H, it would not shift to the High gear for cruising."

The more i think about this the less i believe at this point it is a trans problem but rather a Push Button selctor problem somewhere either in the Push Button Pod or the power unit on the side of the trans. SOMEWHERE in the PB system.

Try the select "N" process that i outlined and BH seems to confirm in his post first before u take any other action.

Let us know what happens.

Posted on: 2009/6/24 18:06
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved