Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
125 user(s) are online (87 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 5
Guests: 120

Ross, 2dayistheday, bkazmer, dallas, Karl, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Question About my Generator...
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Bobs51
See User information
Quote:
Are you sure there is a problem? If you're measuring 6.2 or 6.3 volts then the charging system may be OK, as that is what the voltage should be when the gennie is charging

The above isn't necessarily true.

If the generator is charging the batteries terminal voltage should creep up to around 7.4 volts. If the battery voltage just sits there at 6.2/6.3 volts that indicates that the battery is fully charged but is not being charged by the generator at all. Note: check voltage rise by increasing the engine RPM to equil say 25/30 MPH. Terninal voltage should slowly rise to around 7.4 volts.

Posted on: 2012/3/8 16:57
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Bobs51
See User information
Quote:
Whether 6.2 or 7.2 volts isn't bad. The real question is the DIRECTION of the voltage. A volt meter does NOT give DIRECTION. By direction i mean is the voltage from generator or battery????

A DC voltmeter does indicate polarity (Dirrection). If the battery terminal voltage doesn't rise when you raise the engine RPM the generator is not genen. Simple as that.

Posted on: 2012/3/8 17:05
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Garrett Cuellar
See User information
Okay, I wasn't able to try out the headlight test, due to the diaphragm on my fuel pump going out. That is ordered and on its way. I was able to get the generator to run as an electric motor. I let it run for about 10 min., during that time it didn't sound like it ran too rough. Yet, it wasn't completely quiet and smooth. Not sure if that is the reason it won't charge, or if it has something to do with the voltage regulator. Also, before the pump gave out on me, I was able to get the rpm's up pretty high with no change in voltage. And the GEN. light works now, "needed a new bulb". Is there a possibility that the cut out on the regulator was manually engaged? If so, how can I tell, and how can I fix that?

-Garrett

Posted on: 2012/3/23 12:33
Garrett

1952 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan

" If you don't go when you want to go, when you do go, you'll find you've gone"- Burt Munro
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If the cut out is engaged when the engine is not running, the generator will try to motor but can't. It will overheat and possibly burn up. At any rate, the battery will discharge very quickly and you should be able to feel a very hot generator and wiring.

The cutout relay does carry a lot of load and consequently the points do pit and burn and can oxidize or even weld together. Back in the day, regulator contact service and adjustment was routine and sometimes even a necessity. Today, the skills are mostly gone and replace is the norm. Check the service manual to identify your regulator and which set of contacts is which. You can remove the regulator cover & look at the condition of the points. If they are burned you can smooth with a very fine point file -- no sandpaper or anything with grit or regular files. Just be careful not to get carried away or bend something to mess up the adjustment. Even doing that, you still may need to have things looked at.

Posted on: 2012/3/23 13:01
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Garrett Cuellar
See User information
So, more than likely it is a problem concerning my generator. I will still give the contacts on my regulator a look over. But today I am going to remove the generator and inspect the commutator and brushes for oxidation. Then I'll give her another try once the fuel pump kit comes in. Thank you Howard.

-Garrett

Posted on: 2012/3/23 14:10
Garrett

" If you don't go when you want to go, when you do go, you'll find you've gone"- Burt Munro
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Garrett Cuellar
See User information
Just a follow up so far,
Got the generator out of the car to inspect and clean. The commutator was definitely oxidized, so I gave her a good clean. Gave the case a fresh coat of paint, and re-installed the unit. I tried to keep the car running but, the fuel pump just isn't pulling any fuel to the carb. So I won't be able to determine weather or not the GEN. is putting out any current till sometime next week. DARN! In the mean time I am going to get some brake fluid and bleed this new system.

Posted on: 2012/3/23 18:00
Garrett

Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Jason Smith
See User information
I'm a little late to the dance here, but I'd be more than happy to help you out. You've gotten a lot of advise here to digest, so I won't add to the confusion. If you would like me to walk you through checking your generator feel free to give me a call.
Good Luck!
Jason

Posted on: 2012/4/9 23:12
Jason
Advanced Electrical Rebuilders
Starter, Generator & Distributor Restoration
jason@aerrebuild.com
www.aerrebuild.com
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved