Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
148 user(s) are online (100 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 147

Gary Kulp, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 10 11 12 (13) 14 15 16 ... 40 »

Re: HA's 52 200 Grey Ghost
Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
I agree the motor looks fantastic!

Posted on: 2014/6/5 19:37
[url=h
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hans Ahlness
See User information
I'm going through the transmission shift linkages and found a bearing (or bushing, it's solid) in the bellcrank that rides on a pin at the brake master cylinder PN 3.3256 that is no longer pressed into the bellcrank. The bushing was seized onto the shaft of the linkage from the column, must have spun it loose as it took me a fair amount of work to free ot from the shaft. So, anyone have an idea other than finding a new bellcrank assembly with the pressed-in bushing? Maybe I could braze it into place?
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd">
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
<head>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"/>
<title></title>
</head>
<body>
<div class="page" title="Page 167">

</div>
</body>
</html>

Posted on: 2014/6/7 21:44
1952 Model 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
HA's 52 Grey Ghost

"The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hans Ahlness
See User information
Well I tried to paste in the diagram but doesn't seem to have worked, it is plate 145 in the 48-54 parts diagrams.

Posted on: 2014/6/7 21:46
HA's 52 Grey Ghost

"The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hans Ahlness
See User information
I got about 5 hrs in this afternoon, so I got a lot of tinkering done. I installed the manifolds and fuel pump, and drained the tranny fluid and dropped the tranny pan. The fluid looks pretty clean, a little murky but then it's been sitting for 40-50 years. There wasn't any debris in the screen and everything looks clean inside, I haven't looked in the bottom of the pan as I left it under to drip a bit more.

I cleaned up the outsides of the tranny cooler lines, flushed them with parts cleaner solvent, and temporarily installed the cooler so I could get the clamps in the proper places. I need to repair the ends of the cooler yet where it rusted away inside the hoses.

My reverse switch is seized up, unless it is just a source of ground for the circuit? I doubt it but I'll check the diagram before I tear into it, maybe it's fine. That would be a first, though.

I got my new rear hub puller yesterday so I have it on the left rear now, so far no movement but hopefully the elves get it loose overnight. I beat on it until it wouldn't tighten any further so we'll see.

Attach file:

jpg  (58.25 KB)
34001_5393d23c86e6a.jpg 816X612 px

Posted on: 2014/6/7 22:03
HA's 52 Grey Ghost

Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
My reverse switch is seized up, unless it is just a source of ground for the circuit? I doubt it but I'll check the diagram before I tear into it, maybe it's fine. That would be a first, though.

I got my new rear hub puller yesterday so I have it on the left rear now, so far no movement but hopefully the elves get it loose overnight. I beat on it until it wouldn't tighten any further so we'll see.

Not sure which reverse switch you mean but no switch to ground I can think of on your car except the various courtesy lights.

I do hope you kept the nut loose but on the axle. I made the mistake once and once only of leaving the puller on without a nut. Found the whole mess across the garage the next morning. It was my lucky day nothing was between where it started and where it ended up.

Posted on: 2014/6/7 22:43
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hans Ahlness
See User information
Yes, I did leave the nut on the axle, I have read on this forum and learned from the experiences of you and others. I sure don't need any missles in my shop!

Posted on: 2014/6/8 5:01
HA's 52 Grey Ghost

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hans Ahlness
See User information
Well, day 3 of waiting for the elves to break loose that rear hub. I have hit the puller with my impact wrench every day but it isn't budging. I guess I'll need to try some heat, so I will go get a small torch.

Meantime, the transmission has had the screen cleaned and reinstalled, everything seems OK in there although I was only able to drain out about 6 quarts of old tranny fluid. There wasn't much debris in the old pan, a very few metal flakes. Obviously the trans had had fluid changed in its lifetime as the pan had been welded once, although the pan was pounded and bashed enough that there are imprints of the internal bolt heads in the bottom of the pan. The fluid level was probably never checked since I had to chip the dipstick out of the hardened goo that was all over everything on the outside of the tranny.

And, I took apart the reverse switch and with some pen oil and a little persuasion freed up the plunger, cleaned it all up and it's back together and checks out good on my multimeter.

Attach file:

jpg  (54.26 KB)
34001_5397da779e089.jpg 612X816 px

jpg  (35.93 KB)
34001_5397da89dc112.jpg 816X612 px

Posted on: 2014/6/10 23:26
HA's 52 Grey Ghost

Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Keep in mind that the maximum application of the force delivered by an impact hammer is predicated, initially, upon the fastener being held in a relatively fixed position.

I once observed a technician struggling to remove a stubborn lug nut from a vehicle up on a lift, but his big, expensive, impact wrench just wasn't getting the job done. I put one hand on the tire, told him to try again, and the nut came loose.

My thought was that the wheel, able to turn freely on its bearings, was dispersing much of the energy coming from the impact wrench. It's not that the wheel was actually spinning, but offered no resistance to the force. (Personally, I prefer to crack the lug nuts loose with tires still touching the ground.)

Perhaps you can have someone apply the brake while you're trying to tighten the puller bolt with your impact wrench and see what happens.

Hope this helps.

Posted on: 2014/6/11 12:19
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Looks to me like you're missing part of your drum puller, the arm. Once tight, sharp impacts on the end of the arm with a heavy hammer should, in addition to the force applied, have an beneficial shock effect. you can judge by the ends on this one how many stubborn drums it has tackled.

Attach file:

jpg  (142.50 KB)
177_539891a3e0771.jpg 1280X1151 px

Posted on: 2014/6/11 12:28
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hans Ahlness
See User information
good points both, but I've got you covered. I've been holding the drum still with my hand while hitting the puller with either the impact or my BFH. I do have the hammering arm, it just didn't make it into that picture.

I suppose I could activate the parking brakes, but I didn't want to add any friction to the deal and there might be a ridge inside there that would catch on the pads.

Maybe I should switch over to the other side for awhile, on the theory that the rust might be less over there due to the direction of the Earth's rotation, or somesuch foolishness. Any port in a storm.

Posted on: 2014/6/11 14:41
HA's 52 Grey Ghost

Top  Print   

« 1 ... 10 11 12 (13) 14 15 16 ... 40 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved