Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
96 user(s) are online (46 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 93

Aiden, Turbo, Packard5687, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3)

Re: 1940 Super 8 Water Pump
Home away from home
Home away from home

todd landis
See User information
Just looked again, no place to have motor mounts on either side of the block. Heavy metal/rubber mounts on either side of tranny, along with the engine snubber, and a round metal/rubber pad for the back of the tranny/overdrive. Thanks

Posted on: Today 19:19
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Just FYI, if the 356 engine is one that has the side stabilizers they look something like this. This one is the Clipper version and there is one positioned on each side and bolted to the front cross member 4 or 5 inches back from where the front motor mount bolts. It would be kind of interesting to know the reason or the issue as to why some models with the 356 had them and others apparently did not need them. I believe the basic single front mount and each side of transmission rear mounts was the same for all engines.

Click to see original Image in a new window

Click to see original Image in a new window

Posted on: Today 19:42
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

su8overdrive
See User information
The front outriggers, "stabilizers" in 1941-47 Packard Clipper Master Parts Book parlance, were added to the 356 from 1941-on to prevent the fan blades (same fan 1940-50) from hitting the radiator/cradle, since the engine torques to the left (driver's side).

The two Packard copper washers, #302770, are .390" inner diameter, .625 (5/8ths inch) outer diameter, .046 thick, but am told by lifelong Packard wrench and parts supplier that the ones from NAPA per my picture, first page of this thread, are fine. You just want relatively soft copper in those two recessed areas. With hard cast iron on either side, 25-30 ft. lbs. torque per the brown 1946-50 Packard Shop Manual will have them conforming without any Permatex, etc. unless like me, a trace makes you feel better.

Posted on: Today 21:06
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved