Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
146 user(s) are online (94 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 143

Packard Don, BigKev, Soybeanfarmer1 , more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 21 22 23 (24) 25 26 27 ... 195 »

Re: Henry's 55 Constellation
Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
That must be the prettiest that Packard frame ever looked, including when it was new.

Thanks for the Eastwood reference and the pics of the process. I'da had a heart attack seeing how it looked after the first "stage" without some visual to go by.

Note to self-- do not spill in lap.

Posted on: 2008/12/28 12:21
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
cleanest and the 3rd stage is not on yet, still gotta paint in chassis satin next, but first i have to wait for more of the rust encapsulator to get here from eastwood, wont ship until after the first of the year, darn!

this will allow me to get the underside and the hard to get spots i missed and could only see in the pictures with the flash catching them. i should have used the silver encapsulator, because when i paint it will be hard to see where i missed for sure then! oh well live and learn, black comes with the kit, but i am sure if called i could have gotten the silver and then did the black satin over it.

you really don't want to get this stuff on you! ate my gloves up a couple of times also. pretty nasty stuff. and the rust encapsulator spray made a mess on the floor in overspray. ;0(

i will post more when i get the paint done.

later,

Hank

Posted on: 2008/12/28 20:16
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Looking awfully good. Given much thought to how you are going to wind up the bars safely again. Think you're going to have to make some kind of screw & clamp mechanism to pull it up.

Posted on: 2008/12/28 20:38
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
Explain more, u got my brain working now. I am worried about it too, especially want to make sure I don't damage all the new paint I just did too bad. Thought about a rig using my spring compressor, but I am not sure how yet.

Posted on: 2008/12/29 0:53
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
unless someone owns the actual Packard tool to do this and will let me borrow it, then i have now idea right now. but, surely someone has this tool somewhere.

Posted on: 2008/12/29 9:24
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I had an idea but then saw one of your picts so need to check something out now-probably not till wed or thurs-but still think it can be done without the special tools.

Posted on: 2008/12/29 9:41
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
thanks dude, remember i am pretty visual....i call it an impairment myself.

Posted on: 2008/12/29 10:58
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
OK, here is one possible way of raising load arm in the most visual quick & dirty & without hiring a professional way I can make it.

Hopefully some others will chime in and point out any flaws in my logic or come up with better solutions before you try anything. Whatever you do, orient things so you are well out of the way--no matter which method anyone comes up with--and use strong materials.

You might use padding under chain to keep from messing the paint too much & when you do get it raised, suggest chain instead of straps to hold things.

Attach file:

jpg  (114.96 KB)
209_495d02d5e0ce7.jpg 1100X1027 px

Posted on: 2009/1/1 12:52
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
understand completely. my idea was similar, except the chain wrapped around the torsion arm and cam up through the hole there on the top of the frame and the jack sat on top of the frame and pushed the chain up. but i couldn't figure out how to get the jack to sit on the frame right. a friend of mine has done this before and suggested i make a platform for that jack, but i don't know how. a bottle jack might work better on the top method as it has a smaller base then the jack in your pic, which is funny because i have that exact same type of jack in my garage...same color too LOL!!

i like your idea and so far it is the most promising....wish i had thought of that.

your a genius!!

Posted on: 2009/1/1 13:52
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
should the front of the rear diff carrier be painted black like the axle housing or is it just the bare metal. i have seen it with just the bare metal and i wanted to make sure before i paint the whole rear diff black.

thanks,

Hank

Posted on: 2009/1/6 11:40
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 21 22 23 (24) 25 26 27 ... 195 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved