Happy 4th of July and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
220 user(s) are online (154 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 217

29- 640 Club Sedan, Fibonachu, kevinpackard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 22 23 24 (25) 26 27 28 ... 42 »

Re: 1956 Clipper Hot Rod
Home away from home
Home away from home

Allen Kahl
See User information
" what is the major cost of going on a show trip like this, if I may ask? "

Well the way we were going up:
The host hotel = $700
Gas for the truck = $460
gas for extra car = $199
Show master reg = $245
food = $150
----
total $2154

The extra car was going to be used to haul a trailer full of parts to sell to maybe defray expenses but there would be no guarantee that I would sell a thing. How ever we could have used it for transportation without having to unhook the car trailer.

It's just was not meant to be.
Oh Well hells bells.

Posted on: 2010/5/27 18:52
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
host hotel = $700 --- Just sleep in the truck (FREE).
Gas for the truck = $460 --- No adjustment.
gas for extra car = $199 --- No adjustment.
Show master reg = $245 --- Don't register.
food = $150 --- Christ, i don't spend that much on food in 2 weeks!!
----
total $2154 (reduced to about $1000).

Man, i mean don't u know there is an economic depression on now??? It's not 1980 anymore.

Posted on: 2010/5/27 19:26
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Allen Kahl
See User information
Keith
Are you out of your mind??? I have a wife and a dog, how do you propose we all sleep in the truck. Yes I could take my motor home but then I just increased my gas expense. Do I know there is a recession on, again are you out of your bloody gourd???? Of course I know that, I have been out of work for almost a year. Where the hell do you think I could even come up with a Grand if it were possible to do it your way. Sometimes I wonder where you keep your head.

Al

Posted on: 2010/5/28 7:03
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard53
See User information
AL: I think you are being a little heavy handed with Keith especially with the insults.

I know that if I had been out of work for a year I certainly would have put the Clipper Hot Rod on the back burner. Nor would I have even tried making any plans to come north for the PAC meet.

Just 347 days till I retire.

John F. Shireman

Posted on: 2010/5/28 13:55
REMEMBERING BRAD BERRY MY PACKARD TEACHER
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
AL,

Don't know quite what that commentary was all about. You know more about your situation than others. I was just curious to hear how the money shakes out on these things, and your views on what's needed to pull it off. I don't belong to the carriage trade myself, (I invested in almagamated buggy whips and Microsoft iPod clones). Luckily, I can still sleep in the car and often do (the truck, actually, as long as it's got a 6-foot bed and a topper).

Taking a pass on a venture like this show seems pretty reasonable. I hope you find an enjoyable alternative, like how about a nice cruise in your newly minted Packard?

Remember, we're pulling for you, and we're all in this together.

Posted on: 2010/5/28 21:51
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Allen Kahl
See User information
Guy:

About 90% of the clipper was already in the works before I got the axe. There was not much sense in pulling back, so I just kept going. At least if something did hit the car would be ready, but everytime I took a step forward something kicked me back two steps. I knew the economy was tight but I kept hoping that something would click, I never figured to be out of work so long, but this is the way companies can discriminate because of age and get away with it, they just figure out some excuse not to hire you like "looking for stronger candidates". I have over 40 years of experience in this field, who could be stronger? Answer someone in his 40's and half the salary. Oh well!! In any event if the car could be finished and something miraculous happens then we will see. However as you suggested if nothing else, I can take it to a cruise or local show until things smooth out. As to the commentary, the costs I laid out were the costs I would have to pay out for my circumstances and situation. True everyone has their own way of doing things and you read an alternative. Not my alternative but an alternative. There are probably as many ways to do that show as there are Packard owners. I still have not pulled the plug on the whole thing yet. I am waiting for the very last minute to do that just in case. My reservation has been spoken for (R.B.) so I can transfer it it at any time. so with the way my luck has been going I will cancel out everything and the the car will be done and I will come into the where-with-all to go, I guess I am somewhat of an eternal optimist.

Alk

Posted on: 2010/5/29 8:19
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
Wherever you go, happy motoring. Drive the hell out of that thing, it'll last longer.

Posted on: 2010/5/30 12:36
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

packardtaximan
See User information
Al, I know the feeling about being jobless. I lost my job after 19+ years. It hurts. Enough sob story, I noticed in one of your pictures that the drivers parking light lens is missing. Do you need one? I have a new one that came with a bunch of 48 parts that I bought. I don't have any use for it so if you need it let me know. Keep the faith and hang in there we are pulling for you.

Posted on: 2010/6/6 22:44
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Allen Kahl
See User information
My Friend thank you. Also thanks for the offer. The lenses are not on because I was transporting the car to the upholsterers and the housings are just on the to keep them from flopping around. I have the set that came off, I just have to put them on. My next post will have some new photos. some progress, at least, is being made.

Posted on: 2010/6/7 17:37
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Allen Kahl
See User information
These were sea foam green or what ever interior green Packard was using at the time. My upholsterer dyed them. They don't look to bad although he will go over them with a little more dye. Sorry about the focus, it appears that this camera I have does not do well up close.

Attach file:

jpg  (22.92 KB)
430_4c0d754305074.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (25.24 KB)
430_4c0d757d81c0b.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (16.46 KB)
430_4c0d75a374dfc.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2010/6/7 17:41
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 22 23 24 (25) 26 27 28 ... 42 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved