Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
236 user(s) are online (118 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 235

Nevada56Hudson, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 (4)

Re: 1956 Studebaker Golden Hawk
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The torque converter pump shaft appears to have the six 1/8" holes around the circumference so at least some of the later changes appear to be in the unit. Is that the case pump bushing still on the shaft. It looks like there is a hole about midway toward converter. There should be a serial number on the rear flange. A few pictures in this threadhttps://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=89684#forumpost89684 showing location. They used at least A thru D as the first letter. Just curious if that is a GH unit & fell in that range or had another. Many running changes in the 56th series TUs. Some are documented by serial number in various technical bulletins on site.

Posted on: 2011/12/24 17:19
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I believe with almost total certainty that the "A" thru "D" prefix to the Twin Ultramatic Utica plant numbers were for Packard car-line units only. Whether those units for the GH had their own prefix is unknown to me but I do know someone who should know and I'll inquire about it.

Posted on: 2011/12/24 18:18
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

packard352
See User information
That car has been on ebay at three times that I'm aware of.... I'm just not sure if its the same owner trying his hand again.
On the authenticity stakes, there are a few obvious things that aren't correct about the car, but it would still make for a happy ride.
I'm sure that in these esteemed Packard circles, authenticity can become a moot point. Suffice to write, I have tried to restore my Golden Hawk with authenticity upper-most in mind. However, as has been mentioned on this forum, there was a certain cavalier approach to production of cars in the mid-to-late 1950's, be they Studebaker or Packard.
Many thanks to all for their comments... an illuminating read..!
To one and all... have a very happy time - its now about to become Christmas Day.... so peace and good will to all.
I'm hitting the switch followed by the pillow!

Posted on: 2011/12/24 18:48
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
The answer is available, right on this site, if you look to my FAQ post on ENGINE: Utica Engine Numbers for 55th-56th Series V8. Follow the link to my post on Utica Engine Number Prefixes, and you'll see that the 56J motors had an "S" prefix when set-up for Ultramatic and a "K" prefix when set-up for standard and overdrive transmissions.

The Packard-built 56J engine was never covered in any Packard service publications, but only in Studebaker Service Letters and Studebaker Service Bulletins.

In fact, SSL No. 936 on tappet letdown and the sump tube kit lists these S and K prefixse. However, I just noticed that they appear to have the transmission application reversed. A check of the front matter in our archive copy of the 1957 Packard Clipper and 1955-57 Studebaker Chassis Parts Catalog seems to support the codes as identified by the Packard document.

Posted on: 2011/12/25 0:04
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
BH, I was addressing the Ultramatic Utica number prefixes, not the engine number prefixes. But I guess we can assume that following the pattern Utica used for Packard-line engines, the 56 GH Twin Ultramatics were prefixed with a "K"?

Waiting for my friend with one to crawl under and confirm.

Posted on: 2011/12/25 9:35
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Oops, I'm a victim of speed reading - my bad.

I never found a similar document for Utica Ultramatic numbers, but STB 56T-6 provides that prefix coding for 56th Series Packard models:

A = 5622-42-62

B = 5682-87

C = 5697-99

D = 5647-67

Note that these assignments do NOT correspond to those used for engines. I'd say it's safe to assume the Executive models, 5672-77, follow the same pattern as Clipper Custom models, 5662-67.

My gut feeling is that "S" would be the prefix for Ultramatic units intended for the 56J Golden Hawk, but inspection of an original, unmolested example should give us a more concrete answer.

Look forward to hearing your friend's report.

Posted on: 2011/12/25 22:21
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 (4)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved