Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
89 user(s) are online (49 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 86

BigKev, TxGoat, Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 »

Re: Is there a way to increase height in a 1956 Torsion bar suspension?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I would imagine the top mechanism & hydraulics including the storage area is at least comparable if not heavier than the steel top. Windshield frame & header also more weight I would think. The seats may be a bit heavier because of the castings, plywood frames & foam pads instead of stamped steel & wire. Engine components (other than the AC) probably comparable as the extra carb isn't that much but I believe convertible owners report there is also extra bracing in parts of the quarterpanel area around the rear windows & of course the extra frame bracing is substantial.

Posted on: 2009/2/6 22:24
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
Ok, after digging around I found the shipping weights for the 1955's. The 55 patrician is 4275, 55 400 is 4250, and 55 Caribbean is 4755.

SO the extra strapping on the convertibles, the extra inner rocker panels, and the windshield bracing and cast pieces add about 500, on the 1955 Caribbean convertible.

But would a 56 400 vrs a 56 Caribbean hardtop be that much? Does the 56 Caribbean have the same extra strapping that the convertibles have?

Again, for the V8 owners, are your cars at the 10 inch height described in 55T-1?

When you add the other longer links, does that just bring you back up to 10 inches?

The STB 56T-1 says installing the 9 degree bars may affect the steering. So was the torsion level system designed for the 10 inch height?

The links described in 55T-1, are used to get the car back to 10 if a 1,2,3,4 link is needed?

Reading further on 56T-1, the different bars mentioned;

diameter 1.111" was 1"
carries greater load without raising car height

preset windup increases 9 degree to raise car height

diameter .780" was .8125"
to provide better balance and reduce front end pitch

Sounds like a lot of tweaking going on.

Posted on: 2009/2/7 0:52
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
See 1st sentence of instruction number "1." in 55T-1. IT indicates that "wrong" or "installed incorrectly" levers will hold the car in an uneven position.

The way i read the parts cataloug, the levers in question are group 15.933 in the parts cataloug. ONLY 2WO levers are listed. Right and left. Each for 55 AND 56.

So what is "wrong" suppose to mean in the STB?????
"Installed incorrectly" could only mean tha the right and left levers were interchanged in assembly or 2wo rights or 2wo lefts were used.

So what does "wrong levers" mean ????

Posted on: 2009/2/7 7:31
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
So what is "wrong" suppose to mean in the STB?????
"Installed incorrectly" could only mean tha the right and left levers were interchanged in assembly or 2wo rights or 2wo lefts were used.

The other possibility for incorrect installation would be with the ball studs facing rearward, not forward.

Posted on: 2009/2/7 10:23
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I would say wrong would the the right vs left and in addition to O_D's point, another possibility for installed incorrectly would be if the position were off by one hex on one of the sides. The TB makes a point saying hex should be horizontal when lever inward the 1/2 inch.

Quote:
But would a 56 400 vrs a 56 Caribbean hardtop be that much?
I doubt there would be more than 100lbs difference between the two. Aside from seats, trim & carb, there is very little difference.

Posted on: 2009/2/7 10:28
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Let the Ride Decide.

What kind of problems are u having with the TL suspension on your car. Which Packard do u have.

Posted on: 2009/2/8 8:16
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
Packard V8

No torsion problems at the moment. I just need time to work on my cars.

Right now I only have 55's. 400, Patrician and a project Caribbean.

Posted on: 2009/2/9 23:12
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Victor
See User information
I have to apologize for having been away for a while. Too many things have kept me without focussing on the Packard much. Just as a brief update, I am driving the car once or twice a month without having solved the suspension problem yet, but I did install a pertronix set and the car's engine feels much better. I did buy a pair of adjustable links that I have to install one of these days hoping that will solve my suspension height problem, and I may go back to the bias play taller tires I had before.

Thanks,
Victor

Posted on: 2009/8/18 14:32
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Keep us posted Victor.

Where did u buy the adjustable links from????

Posted on: 2009/8/18 15:31
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Victor
See User information
I bought them from Dave Schumacher, at The Packard Library. I hope to install them soon.

Victor

Posted on: 2009/8/18 17:53
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved