Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
214 user(s) are online (134 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 213

39Rollson, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 4 ... 6 »

Is there a way to increase height in a 1956 Torsion bar suspension?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Victor
See User information
Hi:

I just discovered the forum and signed in.

I recently purchased a very nice original 1956 Packard four Hundred with several options, including the dual carb, dual heater, radio, wire wheels and a Caribbean Hood. The car is Coral pink body and white lower body and top, with pink leather and black cloth interior, original, though unfortunately the leather and plastic were repainted some time ago. Unfortunately, it's transmission was long discarded for a Chrysler unit.

I am getting it ready for use, and have started to move it around, but my problem is that the suspension is sitting too low. After cleaning things up a bit, apparently, it is working fine as it levels the car, but right now, the car scratches it's chassis on speed bumps I encounter in the streets, or while going up or down a small bump. The car had bias ply tires and it was sitting a very little bit over what it is now, but I changed to whitewall radials, 235 X 70 X 15. I don't believe that is the only problem, as the car was sitting to low with the bias ply tires also.

Is there a way to make the car rise a bit?

Thanks,
Victor

Posted on: 2008/12/2 13:55
 Top  Print   

Re: Is there a way to increase height in a 1956 Torsion bar suspension?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
Victor wrote: Hi: I just discovered the forum and signed in. I recently purchased a very nice original 1956 Packard four Hundred.........

G'day Victor,

to the Site. Can't help with your query but there are knowledgeable, experienced and friendly Packard people here who can.

And can you add your '56 400 to the Owner Registry together with a pic, any known history and how you acquired it please?

Posted on: 2008/12/2 14:09
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Congratulations and welcome to the club.

The height subject has been discussed a few times and short answer is yes, car can be raised a bit but also depends on other factors, because lift amount is limited. Would suggest checking out this prior thread and the adjustable links from the vendor mentioned a few posts further down the string. If more questions come back with them.

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=11771#forumpost11771

Posted on: 2008/12/2 14:25
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
look at the lower front control arms on BOTH sides. there will be a verticle pin about 3/4 inch in diameter and about 4 or 5 inches long. the pin will seat in the lower control arm and there will be what appears to be a rocker arm riding on it at the top of the pin.

COUNt HOW MANY RINGS are on each pin. EACH side.

Welcome to the forum.

Posted on: 2008/12/2 14:45
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Welcome to the forum. If you browse thru the Technical Service Bulletins on this site you'll find one (55 T-1) that references the pins and riding height which PackardV8 noted.

Your car sounds nice, how about a picture or two. Note that the Caribbean hood and dual carb setup were not factory options but no doubt added by some subsequent owner.

If you'd be willing, I'd appreciate knowning the vehicle number (tag on driver's side door jam) and the thief-proof number (large embossed number over the heater on the cowl). Thanks.

Posted on: 2008/12/2 15:03
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Daniel Leininger
See User information
Victor,
Another WELCOME to the PInfo website,
As you see there is much Packard knowledge and helpful Pride among the members here.
Yes, please take time to Register on the Owner's section. If you don't have digital pics, you can add them later. Packards may not be as "endangered" in Mexico as up north. Either way, Welcome!
DanL

Posted on: 2008/12/2 21:53
[i][size=small][color=000066]Dan'L in SD
41ParPack
First of the Clippers
[
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Welcome to the site and glad to have you aboard. The 235/75/R15 tires are closer to the 29.08 height of the 800:15 bias ply tires that were originally on the car. The 235/70/R15s are just smaller enough to give you problems. I speak from experience as I had/have those on my 56 400. I mounted two 235/75/R15s on the rear and now my speedometer reads more accurately, but my gas mileage went down.
I left the 235/70s on the front for now but have ordered another set from Diamondback thru Mid-Atlantic Packards. I get a small discount and they get a buck or two for their club. I will have 235/75s all the way around on my Caribbean.
I have copied Diamondback's tire chart to show the comparison.

Attach file:

jpg  (27.40 KB)
23_4935f921a6978.jpg 441X209 px

Posted on: 2008/12/2 22:08
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
You may also adjust the turnbuckle on the drivers side attached to the main torsion bar located approximately where the door closes. It has two jam nuts. Just loosen those and give the turnbuckle a couple of good turns noting whether the rear end is going up or down. Adjust it so the rear end is a little higher than it was previously. This may give you enough room to safely go over the speed bumps. Normally the bottom edge of the skirt should be at the centerline of the hubcap.

Posted on: 2008/12/2 22:27
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
The diamond back chart needs to be posted somewhere under an info section of some type for ez retrieval for future access.

Posted on: 2008/12/2 22:36
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Randy -

Nice find on that chart! That info corroborates what I found some 20 years ago, when a former BFG engineer showed me how to do the math on tires to determine the closest modern replacements for my Packards; it worked out to 235/75R15 for 8.00x15 and 225/75R15 for 7.60x15.

What people have to understand is that those old tires were more square (a lot taller profile) than those used in later years. I wouldn't use any tire profile lower than a 75 series on my Packards.

Now, if you're still checking-in on this thread, Victor, since you mentioned the problem was speed bumps, you might want to check your shocks. Replace them with gas-charged units. Those, along with the radial tires, will also improve your handling.

Posted on: 2008/12/3 8:02
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 4 ... 6 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved