Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
102 user(s) are online (64 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 98

53 Cavalier, TxGoat, humanpotatohybrid, Chuck McDonald, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6) 7 8 »

Re: Broke down.
Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
I had the local hydraulic shop make new ones for mine and they told me that they had to go to the smaller hose on the pressure side because the fitting that goes into the steering ram isn't available in that thread size and that larger hose size. Did I explain it well enough? It can get confusing!

Posted on: 2008/10/8 1:52
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

mikec
See User information
that makes sense to me.

thanks again guys!

Posted on: 2008/10/8 7:38
Daily Driver:
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
If you've got a set of original hoses, DON'T throw them away, the metal fittings can be fitted to new hose to make an authentic-looking installation. I had mine done by a local NAPA store that had the equipment for this.

Posted on: 2008/10/8 8:47
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
i made it a point when i started my restoration to NOT through away anything until i was completely done or decided i really really didn't need it anymore.....that being said i am glad i came to that conclusion for matters exactly like this.....my hoses still hold, but i will be getting new ones anyways. i want everything wearable on the car to be new. the best philosophy for me is to get it done right the first time so you don't have to worry about it later. ;0)

later dudes,

Hank

Posted on: 2008/10/8 10:39
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

mikec
See User information
i had to jump through some hoops (went to 6 local places) but i finally got hoses made. im in college right now, but i should get them installed this weekend.

sometimes it can be hard restoring cars like this as a kid, because alot of people dont belive you. out of the 5 places i went without sucess, id say 2 actually believed me.

what kind of fluid should i use? i have no idea what was in there, but it might have been atf.

thanks for all the help!

Posted on: 2008/10/15 15:06
Daily Driver:
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The power steering system uses ATF. Doubt it makes much difference which one but I use Type F or Type FA.

Posted on: 2008/10/15 16:03
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

mikec
See User information
sounds good! thanks!

Posted on: 2008/10/15 17:39
Daily Driver:
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

mikec
See User information
got my hoses installed last night, but something was noright. if i turnned the wheels all the way to the left, the pressure suply hose got crushed againsed the pitman arm. the old hose had fallen apart completely by the time i got to take it off, so i dont know how the old one worked. i used a piece of hard side brake line to make the connection from the hose to the valvebody, and while it works fine, it is not as durable as i would like.

any ideas??

Posted on: 2008/10/19 20:30
Daily Driver:
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Don't know if there is enough detail here to be any help.

Attach file:

jpg  (38.37 KB)
209_48fbe0fc24d32.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (32.46 KB)
209_48fbe10be6673.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (30.98 KB)
209_48fbe123241e3.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (43.21 KB)
209_48fbe1301a322.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (33.92 KB)
209_48fbe13ed3f0e.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2008/10/19 20:39
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

mikec
See User information
yours if a bit different, on mine, where the two hoses come in from the pump, yours aims down, mine points up, which is a pain in the ass. im thinking it may have to do with the size of the connnecter the guy installed on the new hose. that doesent help.

Posted on: 2008/10/19 20:55
Daily Driver:
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6) 7 8 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved