Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
199 user(s) are online (127 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 197

TxGoat, humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 56 57 58 (59) 60 61 62 ... 259 »

Re: BigKev's 1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Sedan
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Looking at the picture from inside the tank. It almost looks like there is still zinc/tin plating on the inside. The rust/shellac/gunk is almost a layer that is coating everything as opposed to rust that is eating into the metal.

Now that is the bottom of the tank that was still covered with fuel. So not sure what the rest of the inside of the tank looks like. I guess I could put some chain, bolts and nut in the tank and rattle them around to see what I can break loose.

I am concerned that I can't get a piece of welding rod all the way through the pickup tube. Is there any type of tight elbow or screen at the end of the tube that could be blocking the welding rod rod?

Posted on: 2010/2/13 19:41
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The pickup tube makes a couple of bends and ends about 1/8 inch above the metal in a sump area on the bottom of the tank in approx the shape & location shown. Look thru the sender opening with a small flashlight and you should see it. There is no screen but I've seen tubes that make a "U" and point down and other years where there may be a small baffle or plate to help keep floating objects away. If the gas had varnish or dried at some point, have seen that sump full of congealed material.

Attach file:

jpg  (14.49 KB)
209_4b7749b592267.jpg 500X375 px

Posted on: 2010/2/13 19:54
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Thanks for the info Howard.

I wonder if I am jsut hitting the baffle or the bottom of the tank. If I spray some brake cleaner down the tube it doesn't back up, so perhaps it is clear. Maybe the stiff welding rod perhaps isn't bending when it hit the sumps and therefor I just think I am hitting a blockage.

Posted on: 2010/2/13 20:20
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Terry Cantelo
See User information
Hi Kev,
Why not try and give it a blast with an airline. That should give some indication if its blocked or not especially if you fill it up with water up to the tube. Just a thought.
Terry

Posted on: 2010/2/14 2:44
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Take a 12 foot foot length of string and enter one end of it into the tube. Tie a big nut onto te other end of string. Blow string theu tube. Fish other end of string that is now inside of tank out thru the sending unit hole.

Now u have a fish line that can be worked backwards and forwards thru the tube. Tie bigger or smaller string as needed and pull it thru or small nuts on the string or small swabs of cloth soaked in carb cleaner to see-saw back and forth thru the tube.

OR a speedometer cable core on the end of a drill motor mite act as a good reamer.

Some 1/32 or 1/16 stranded cable from hardware store used for hanging mirrors and picture on the end of a drill motor. Fray the end of the cable to act as an abrasive.

Posted on: 2010/2/14 8:30
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I don't know much about gas tanks but I think they were commonly made of "terne plate" steel, which is cold rolled treated with an allow of 80% lead and 20% tin, no zinc. The high percentage of lead makes it inexpensive and yet be an effective corrosion-resistant coating.

Posted on: 2010/2/14 9:19
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Damn, Dave even spelled it correctly! I don't think anyone uses that anymore. They make it much cheaper.
Anyway here's a crude drawing of the pickup tube. The end rests in a small hollow punched into the tank. You can't pass a welding rod thru it and the end of it is VERY close to the bottom of that indent. (Edit : redrew gastank)

Attach file:

jpg  (12.08 KB)
23_4b784a5605070.jpg 816X1056 px

Posted on: 2010/2/14 11:41
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Randey, tanks for congtulating mee on my speeling.

Your sketch of the pick-up tube is instructional, it's the lower portion of the tube that apparently rusted off on friend Ole Book's tank such that he "runs out of gas" with about 10 gallons left in the tank. I don't know what the best way is to fix that, access is damn near impossible without cutting an opening in the tank top. Be interested to hear how others have approached that problem.

Posted on: 2010/2/14 12:18
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Find a small boy with some dexterity. Get him to slip some plastic tubing up over the pickup tube to the point where there is 1/8 to 1/4 gap between the end of the tube and the bottom of the tank(the indentation in the bottom). Buy the kid a lot of camdy.

Posted on: 2010/2/14 13:44
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Carl Madsen
See User information
BigKev-

My local radiator repair place reworked my fuel tank for less than $200, did a great job, and now I don't worry about the fuel tank...

I broke the t-bolts holding my tank as well, my father in law fashioned some new ones out with a welder, they work great.

I used some of the original padding, but not all, between the straps and the tank. I notice they sell that stuff, not sure how important it is, my guess is to ensure a quiet ride, but it could be more important, like two metals rubbing against each other, causing friction, which may not be a good thing on a tank full of fuel.

-Carl

Posted on: 2010/2/14 16:07
-Carl | [url=https://packardinfo.
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 56 57 58 (59) 60 61 62 ... 259 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved