Happy 4th of July and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
235 user(s) are online (140 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 233

CCR, wgb1956, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Bottom Bottom   Previous Topic Previous Topic   Next Topic Next Topic   Register To PostTopic is Locked

« 1 ... 66 67 68 (69) 70 71 72 ... 170 »

Re: Wade's Workshop
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Monday 31st January 2011

Arrived at the workshop to find Old Blue.....gone! Actually this was expected because Wade has sold the old girl! And that's why there was some cleaning and minor adjustments carried out on her a couple of weeks ago. However I was sworn to secrecy at the time until the deal was done. What happened was that Barry, bksmith, has had his '37 120 Touring Sedan up for sale for some time and hadn't had any interest until recently when 3 serious buyers popped up. The first of whom Max, from Geelong in Victoria, bought the car. Now with more buyers than Packards to sell, and knowing that Wade had mentioned he was interested in selling his '37 120 Touring Sedan, AKA Old Blue, Barry referred one of the buyers Wade's way. The day Wade gave Old Blue a wash was actually the day David and Shelley, the now new owners, arrived to inspect and go for a test drive in the old girl. Old Blue departed the workshop, probably for the last time, Thursday of last week. One of the things that Wade told David and Shelley before they left was that in the 23 years he'd had Old Blue he'd never had a puncture. And wouldn't you know it, half an hour after they drove out Wade received a phone call to say they'd just suffered a puncture! But luckily it happened outside a tyre store, so salvation was at hand, and a new tube later were on the road again. David and Shelley are from the Gold Coast area of Southern Queensland and will be driving Old Blue home in the near future.

Although the workshop is now lighter by one Packard I tried to redress the situation somewhat by arriving with the radio for Chris's '48 '49 Woodie tucked under one arm and a box of timber pieces, Chris had fixed or made for Wade, under the other. Then it was into Big Red and off to Burt Bros to pick up the resurfaced flywheel, rebuilt pressure plate and new clutch plate for Noel's '39. It was good to be out chasing Packard parts in a Packard. Back at the workshop Wade re-installed the flywheel, then the pressure and clutch plates in the '39 with a little muscle assistance as required. While Wade was doing that I started on the next stage of the alternator mounting bracket for Mat's '34. And with my lack of skills there was a whole lot more measuring and checking before I started scribing lines on the mounting plate. And still more checking and measuring as I went. The lines were the centrelines for the series of holes I had to drill to mount the plate on top of the engine side plate, because if I'd drilled a hole in the wrong place it could have been very unforgiving. Fortunately all were OK, although I did drill two holes I needn't have but they are not in a critical area. So now we have a mounting plate for the alternator that fits on top of the side plate in Mat's '34. Still more work required because six of the holes require countersinking to accommodate some of the short studs where the oil cooler was located.

Wade was also busy under the rear of Mat's '34 where he was replacing the right rear spring. He'd started late last week, by taking Mat's spring out, and was partway through replacing it with one of the originals from The Fossil. Wade had had a pair of rear springs made for The Fossil in lieu of the originals so just happened to have a pair "on the shelf". The replacement spring is now almost in place but a snag has been struck. The head on the spring centre bolt from The Fossil is 0.566" in diameter while the head on the spring that came out is 0.499", not a great deal of difference but enough to stop the replacement spring from seating into it's mount under the diff housing.

During the course of all this Harvey arrived, literally bearing gifts. Something practical for Wade, some new springs for Super 8 harmonic balancers, as well as other balancer internal parts. While for me, just see the pic's below. In return Wade was able to supply Harvey with the Sylphon thermostat he needs for one of Vince's '39. And tomorrow John, Appin, is bringing his '40 110 Sedan over for some help on his OD per this thread. I happened to see PeterP, the previous owner of John's car, at a car club meeting tonight and he has passed on some advice which might be useful tomorrow.

Attach file:

jpg  (42.17 KB)
226_4d46aae522e23.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (22.71 KB)
226_4d46aaf382af4.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (41.06 KB)
226_4d46ab071d9cd.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (28.92 KB)
226_4d46ab18ebeba.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (34.87 KB)
226_4d46ab2cbef86.jpg 720X502 px

jpg  (35.06 KB)
226_4d46ab3b79982.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (35.64 KB)
226_4d46ab56d03be.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (46.53 KB)
226_4d46ab69c1308.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (30.25 KB)
226_4d46ab7f50673.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (36.68 KB)
226_4d46aba33490f.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (34.72 KB)
226_4d46abbdf2460.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (45.84 KB)
226_4d46abd1e5d56.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (44.05 KB)
226_4d46abe7c62e8.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (31.52 KB)
226_4d46ac06e51ee.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (30.75 KB)
226_4d46ac1450af0.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (35.95 KB)
226_4d46ac2bc2362.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (34.99 KB)
226_4d46ac37d2159.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (36.43 KB)
226_4d46ac4ce6af5.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (37.35 KB)
226_4d46ac58a7b26.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2011/1/31 7:37
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Tuesday 1st February 2011

Quote:
Ozstatman wrote:Monday 31st January 2011.....tomorrow John, Appin, is bringing his '40 110 Sedan over for some help on his OD.....

Unfortunately John couldn't make it into the workshop today, it'll probably be tomorrow so with Appin not 'appining, turned to Mat's '34 rear springs again. Wade G clamped the leaves together on the right rear spring taken from Mat's '34 and removed the centre bolt. Then the replacement spring mounted in the '34 was similarly dealt with. Centre bolts were then exchanged so Mat's spring centre bolt is now in the new spring. It was still a fight to get the centre bolt to align with the diff housing mount entailing jacking of springs, pry bars, brute strength and swearing. A combination of all that finally cracked the code and the spring slipped into place with the centre bolt head secure in the mount. U-bolts and lower mount back on together with shock absorber mount and all tightened up. Wade mentioned that when he pulled the U-bolts off last week that most of the nuts were only finger tight and two spring washers were missing! Went back together with the correct number of washers and properly tightened.

It was then the left rear springs turn to be replaced. First the old one came out, relatively easily, hardest part was the front spring mount pin which needs to be driven out through the valance panel. When the pin came out instead of there should being a "spacer", for want of a better term, that goes between the inside end of the pin and the washer and nut which hold it in place there wasn't one! A search of the shelves failed to find a replacement so instead settled for a large thick washer thing which required it's centre to be bored out to fit and, Voila, we had one. That sorted, the spring centre bolt exchange again took place but this time with both springs out on the workshop floor, making it somewhat easier. Then the replacement Fossil spring went back in, also necessitating jacks, pry bars, brute strength and swearing, sometimes called "words of encouragement". And on this side the lower shock link, although it had a nut on it, didn't have the rubber bush or the necessary retaining washer. All I can say is it now does, thanks again to Wade's wonderful supply of Packard parts. Mat's '34 is now back on the shop floor and again sitting like a Packard should.

Speaking of pulling things off the shelf, Wade pulled out a new muffler he'd brought in from the US for The Fossil but didn't use for the restoration. Looks like Mat's exhaust system will be the beneficiary of this together with new engine and tail pipes which will require Tony, of Quikfit Mufflers, expertise.

And Terry, traumjagaercat, with the lower spring/shock mounting plates off Mat's '34 I was able to do some measurements for you. Although I'd said I'd do this some time ago the right opportunity only just arose and I didn't forget! Will forward these details separately once I'm able to decipher the scribbles I made to record the measurements.

Attach file:

jpg  (37.90 KB)
226_4d47af94d2d95.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (43.49 KB)
226_4d47afa9f0a06.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (39.15 KB)
226_4d47afcb629c7.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (29.09 KB)
226_4d47aff5cf817.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (35.20 KB)
226_4d47b00f17736.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (45.99 KB)
226_4d47b02074c2a.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (27.84 KB)
226_4d47b02dcfdaa.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2011/2/1 2:04
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

Home away from home
Home away from home

Terry Cantelo
See User information
G,day Mal,
Sorry to see "OLD BLUE" gone but seems to have gone to a good home.
Thanks in anticipation for the drawings. You seem to be doing well with all these new fabrication challenges Wade gives you to do
Take care
Terry

Posted on: 2011/2/1 4:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mathew Rattray
See User information
Hi Mal,

WOW! Looks like you have been very busy at the workshop. The car is looking fantastic... Are you sure it's the same car?

The PI meet was fantastic, your going to have to come over to experience it.

Russ & I get back next Sunday. Ill try and catch up with you & wade next weekk if I get a chance

Cheers,
Mat

Posted on: 2011/2/1 12:53

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Wednesday 2nd February 2011

Well today Appin 'appined. John arrived in his '40 110 while I was drilling out seven of the bolt holes on the water jacket side plate of Mat's '34 so they could be re-tapped for larger bolts for the Alternator mounting plate. Before drilling though there had been a lot of measuring of the depth of the present bolt holes to avoid what happened to Kevin's '35 some years ago when a hole had been drilled out but ended up going through the cylinder wall. It was patched up at the time but eventually the plug came out and destroyed the piston in that cylinder. Wade didn't want a repeat of that because he was the one who ended up having to fix the mistakes of others. So measuring was of prime importance, including measuring the depth of the bolt holes in the engine in the spare chassis under the carpark ramp outside. A depth of 18mm was consistent for all holes checked so that's what we worked with. In fact Wade then handed over the drilling duties to moi, I think just in case there was a slip and a cylinder was punctured then I could be blamed! Fortunately the drilling went without incident with no drill-throughs. Also found a difference between the side plate in Mat's '34 and the one pulled off the spare engine. Being that the depth of the oil cooler/filter mounting is 25mm on Mat's side plate cover and 30mm on the spare. Just as well for all that checking.

But when John arrived tools were downed on the '34 and his '40 was brought into the workshop for some OD therapy. John's been having trouble with the OD, at one point purchasing a used OD Solenoid but it only lasted about 500 miles. He has now purchased a rebuilt Solenoid from MM's and arrived with this in hand and a temporary plug where the solenoid mounts on the OD. John had also replaced a fuse in an inline fuse holder. First things Wade did was to check the OD circuit diagram with the set up on the '40, that looked OK. Then checking for power and continuity and here problems were encountered. Tracked down in part to the new fuse of John's, it was too short not giving a connection. Fuse replaced, there was still a circuit problem which was traced to the switch on the OD Lock Out. This switch is located near the Lock Out Knob under the dash so Wade assumed his upside under a Packard dash position and removed it. When tested on the bench however it worked. But closer examination showed that the switch surface which rubs against the OD cable to operate the switch had become worn over the years it only worked when pushed well in. Solution was to remove the washer between the switch body and OD cable housing where the switch mounts allowing the switch to fully depress. Next came installation of the MM Solenoid in the '40, but first a bench test which it passed with flying colours. John then went under the '40 connecting up the Solenoid wires while Wade trick wired the OD Relay on the firewall and stationed me with a battery and jumper leads for the vital energisation process so the Solenoid can be engaged in the OD housing. Worked first time, but....... the Solenoid wouldn't bolt to the housing. There is only one way the Solenoid can be bolted on and of course it turned out to be 180 degrees off. It looks to be symmetrical, but isn't, being only slightly different but enough of a difference to make a difference. Rotated 180 degrees, energisation checked, and bolted in. A test drive confirming that OD is working as it should and kick down functioning properly.

With John on his way home turned back to the '34 and the alternator fitting. First tapped the re-drilled holes to 5/16" 24tpi NF, but having a tapered tap there wasn't as much thread tapped in the effort as was required. Also looked at the waterflow situation as Dave, O_D, had mentioned. The original setup on the '34 provides for the cooled water from the water pump to flow into the top chamber at the front of the side plate. From there it moves through the oil cooler/filter housing and returns to the bottom part of the side plate. It then flows to the rest of the engine through strategically placed holes in the plate structure which target the exhaust valve areas of the engine block. I think that's right, or reasonably so, if not feel free to correct me. After a little restructuring of the internal side plate architecture, coolant flow will continue with distribution as intended by Packard. Then......Wade found an intermediate 5/16" 24tpi NF tap which by subtle grinding is now in effect a bottoming or plug 5/16" 24tpi NF tap and which was used to re-tap all the threads already taper tapped. The basic fabrication and mounting work is now complete, but still need to source new longer H/T bolts for the re-tapped holes, spacers for between the mounting plate and the side plate, measure and measure and measure again for the positioning of the HQ Holden alternator bracket on the mounting plate, drill holes for same, find a tensioning bracket to suit and mount that, a suitable length drive belt for the alternator and of course the electrical wiring work. Although a lot of work still needs doing I think the hardest part of this project is done.

Attach file:

jpg  (42.38 KB)
226_4d4901176728d.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (41.15 KB)
226_4d490127ba1bb.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (32.32 KB)
226_4d49013dc22d0.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (43.70 KB)
226_4d4901500adcd.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (42.11 KB)
226_4d4901699e2d2.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (42.32 KB)
226_4d490193d68cd.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (31.25 KB)
226_4d4901b53a727.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (22.39 KB)
226_4d4901c1a699f.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (45.50 KB)
226_4d4901d980a3b.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (27.55 KB)
226_4d4901ef049a2.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (40.05 KB)
226_4d490212c4ddd.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (48.81 KB)
226_4d49022723b1a.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2011/2/2 2:10
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

Home away from home
Home away from home

Matt snape
See User information
Mal, I am disappointed to not have recently featured in your thread, but I guess this is what happens when I turn up on a weekend when you are not there! Surely, though, the additional floor space and lack of a 282 motor and accessories to trip over has not gone unnoticed?

I was planning to start my own project thread regarding the 1935 GP car build, but was going to wait until I had some photos to post, but hell, if I am going to be ignored here I might as well strike out on my own! LOL

New thread coming up!

Posted on: 2011/2/2 5:42
If at First You Don't Succeed - Skydiving is Not For You...

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Matt,
Please forgive what can only be described as a major oversight. Although I'd noticed there was more floorspace available but put it down to Wade having done a tidy-up of the area. I did notice the Engine Analyser frame was "further back" but this obscured the engines, now one short, which were in that area and it didn't click there must be an explanation for that. Don't think of that as an excuse but rather an explanation of my inattention or lack of observational skills. I'm looking forward to seeing the Packard Biposto as it metamorphosises from a collection of diverse parts, pieces and the fruits of your imagination.

Posted on: 2011/2/2 15:00
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mathew Rattray
See User information
Hi Mal,

you now have me worried... Is there much damage? From the post, im guessing that something may have hit the 34? Am I on the right track?

If so, not to worry i'm sure it can fixed

Posted on: 2011/2/3 0:37

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Mat,

No, now you have me worried! What have I written that gives you that impression? Only thing I can think of is the front axle, but that was mentioned some months ago. If it's recently, please direct me to the source of your concern and I'll alleviate it if I can.

Posted on: 2011/2/3 2:10
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

Home away from home
Home away from home

Matt snape
See User information
Ha, that's a little bit funny! Mat (with just one T - poor chap) thought you were talking to him when you were talking to me, Snapey, whos first name is Matt (with two T's - as is proper). Sorry for the confusion Mat - I can only imagine what went through you head when you read:-

"Matt,
OOOPS! Please forgive what can only be described as a major oversight. "

But fear not, I saw your car the other day (a lovely thing it is) when I was in the workshop picking up the old 282 motor and bits that were laying around getting in the way and it is being very well cared for.

Posted on: 2011/2/3 6:00
If at First You Don't Succeed - Skydiving is Not For You...

« 1 ... 66 67 68 (69) 70 71 72 ... 170 »

Register To PostTopic is Locked

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved