Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
89 user(s) are online (63 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 88

HH56, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Packard Engine Plant in Bridgman Michigan???????????
Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
Friends of my wife were camping in a city park in Bridgman Michigan and met a man who claimed that there was once a Packard engine plant in the town near where the park is now.

Anyone know anything about this?

Bridgman is on the southwestern coast a few miles north of St. Jo/Benton Harbor.....

Posted on: 2012/8/10 1:23
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Re: Packard Engine Plant in Bridgman Michigan???????????
Home away from home
Home away from home

Dan
See User information
I'm curious about this, too. My wife and I will be IN Bridgman in a couple of weeks!

Posted on: 2012/8/10 8:11
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I'm not aware of any such facility, but one of the acknowledged experts on Packard's facilities in Michigan is Arthur Balfour. You might want to contact him, he's in the PAC Membership Directory.

Another place to look would be the company's annual reports to the stockholders. Typically such reports list significant corporate-owned properties and facilities.

Posted on: 2012/8/10 10:53
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Perhaps there was a Foundry there.

Posted on: 2012/8/10 10:57
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Kev, the foundry was on Harper Ave in Detroit, right adjacent to the main plant. It was there for decades right up to it's sale in 1954. We know they farmed out their foundry work in 1955/56 to Lakey Foundry & Machine Co., Muskegon; perhaps there was some other outsourcing? If you study the extensive article by Balfour on East Grand, it dtails which activities took place on which floors of which buildings over the years, and automotive, marine and aircraft engines including those for the military were all done at East Grand.

So this possible facility in Bridgman is interesting and worth tracking down. I've just made a query to Mr. Balfour and if I learn anything significant I'll revise this post.

UPDATE: To paraphrase Mr. Balfour's response, to the best of his knowledge there is not a scrap of evidence that Packard ever had a facility in Bridgman, MI.

Posted on: 2012/8/10 11:11
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
I got a triumphal email back that the land was donated by Martin Marietta Aggregates, which somehow "proves" the Packard connection. Sand for airplanes?

Is there any connection between them and Packard? Seems unlikely....

Posted on: 2012/8/15 13:01
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The only connection I'm aware of between Martin-Marietta and Packard is that both corporate names begin with a letter of the alphabet.

Posted on: 2012/8/15 13:14
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved