Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
210 user(s) are online (114 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 7
Guests: 203

Ozstatman, Frogmagic, TxGoat, Tobs, humanpotatohybrid, kevinpackard, Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

ULTRAMATIC to Hydramatic?
Home away from home
Home away from home

WILLIS BIRKS
See User information
I was reading on another site that the Packard Ultramatic was licensed to GM to us as the Hydramatic in the early 50's Buick , Olds, and Cadillac. Could to be true?

Posted on: 2012/9/17 13:33
 Top  Print   

Re: ULTRAMATIC to Hydramatic?
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Possibly, sometime in the 53 to 58 time range the Hydramatic plant burned down. Powerglides were used in Caddillacs for one or two years because of the plant buring down.

Posted on: 2012/9/17 13:48
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
They also used Dynaflows to fill the void left by Hydramatics so seems strange they would have also considered Packard. Was it the whole trans or did they just license some designs. IIRC, one of the histories mentioned there was a lawsuit going on over some of the valving. Don't remember if GM was supposed to have copied Packard or the other way around.

Posted on: 2012/9/17 14:21
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dan
See User information
Wasn't GM suing PMMC for patent/design infringement re the Ultramatic copying design elements of the Hydramatic?

Posted on: 2012/9/17 15:36
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
I have never heard that GM would think of using Packard's Ultramatic.
They did use dynaflows when the fire stopped Hydramatic production.
As cheap as GM was at times (think ball-bearing races on front drums), I doubt they would pay Packard and I also doubt Packard could have supplied the demand required by GM.

Posted on: 2012/9/17 18:54
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Harley
See User information
Dan

Packard won the lawsuit, it's covered in the Kimes book. Valving was different . among other things. Many "mechanics" are reluctant to learn how to work on anything non GM, which explains much of the rap the Ultramatic got.

Only Dynaflows were used to replace Hydramatics in Cadillacs. Not sure about "junior " GM cars, but surely only GM parts were used

Regards

John Harley

Posted on: 2012/9/17 22:35
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Those Dynaflow Cadillacs and Power Glide Pontiacs (don't know what the Oldsmobiles were fitted with) must be rare autos by now. Anyone ever see one? Or did GM retrofit the cars with Hydramatics after transmission production resumed? I remember reading about the plant fire and the substitute transmissions, but have never seen one.

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2012/9/18 10:35
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved