Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
101 user(s) are online (68 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 100

Packardbarry, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Dash switches
Home away from home
Home away from home

Mark Hill
See User information
Hello all. Would some one please tell me how to remove the switches from the dash of a 49 Deluxe. I have not been able to figure it out. I need to repair the fan switch as one of the terminals/shunts has come apart. My fan isn't even hooked up to it. There is a 2 position switch at the right side of the steering column, below the dash that says "Air". I push it down one click and I hear the fan motor but get very minimal air movement. Any info on that switch also would be greatly appreciated. I have been trying to find something in the manuals, but have not had success as of yet. Thanks in advance to all who post.

Posted on: 2012/10/21 21:56
If it won't move, get a bigger wrench.
If it breaks, it needed fixing anyway.

Mark

1949 Deluxe
 Top  Print   

Re: Dash switches
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The row of dash switches are mounted on a support plate. The entire plate is held to the dash by a couple of special screws or more properly described, long threaded nuts and removes as an assembly to get to the switches. There are some photos and description of process here:

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=96321#forumpost96321

If not part of the array in the dash but is below the dash, perhaps it is aftermarket or for a separate switch to a dealer installed underseat heater?? If it is a separate switch, a picture would be helpful for one of the 22-23 series guys to say if factory or aftermarket.

Posted on: 2012/10/21 22:22
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mark Hill
See User information
Thanks. It's part of the dash so I'll have at it after work.

Posted on: 2012/10/21 22:41

Mark

1949 Deluxe
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mark Hill
See User information
Well, I haven't had at it yet, other things have come along. Any ideas on the other switch?

Posted on: 2012/11/3 20:35

Mark

1949 Deluxe
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:

DeluxCanuck wrote:
Well, I haven't had at it yet, other things have come along. Any ideas on the other switch?

I don't remember how the switches are labeled. IIRC, Bob Neal's book mentioned early cars did not have integrated heaters but rather optional and sometimes separate components like the 47's. If that's the case, you could have a heater box and maybe a separate little blower for the defroster mounted above it and also an underseat heater. Usually the heaters shared a switch with the defroster separate. You will almost have to determine how your car is equipped to find which is on.

If it is a later car, then I believe the heater/defroster blower is in the engine cmpt under the heater box and there was an optional underseat heater. Since dealers could add options, sometimes they didn't necessarily follow recommended installs or if the customer wanted separation, extra switches were added. It is also possible one of the wire air control cables has broken or become disconnected and a door is not open so the blower can't do much.

Posted on: 2012/11/3 20:47
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mark Hill
See User information
The heater box is part of the car. Long and narrow running under the dash on the firewall. The fan/housing is on the outside of the firewall on the passenger side
I can hear the fan running, but its very faint. I'll post a picture of the switch under the dash later. When the snow finally hits here, I am going to remove the damaged fan switch and see if I can repair it get the fan to work as the owners manual states. Push once for hi, twice for low, and third time is off. Haven't noticed an underseat heater. The front lower portion of the front seat has no cut away for air movement. I would assume that's how it's done, as I've never seen one. Does an under the seat heater blow to the back seat? I've been under the car and there's no hoses, again if that's how is done. I'll also check the wire. I appreciate all of the assistance. This is a new car to me, and I'm trying to learn all of the qurks and eliminate the incorrect issues it has.

Posted on: 2012/11/4 10:48

Mark

1949 Deluxe
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The optional underseat heaters had no cutouts in regular cars. Were under the front seat and just a flat box roughly a foot square and 2 or 3 inches high. A blade type fan draws air in the top from the open area under the seat and directs it out thru the core on the side using the normal space between floor and seat frame for the air exit. They were used in limos under the back seat and those did have grills in the seat base.

47 is on the drivers side. Not sure about the 22-23rd and then 51 on was on the passenger side. If you see no hoses under then you probably don't have one.

Posted on: 2012/11/4 11:06
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mark Hill
See User information
Sorry it took so long between posts on this. Here is a couple of pictures of the switch that my fan is connected to. I tried 6 times to get a good picture of the front of the switch, and just could not get the camera to focus properly. I don't have an under seat heater. I'm inclined to think that when the original switch broke, this was added. It functions ok, but the fan motor does not run very fast. I have the heater core/ motor out of the car and disassembled for cleaning and paint. I got a functioning switch from BDeb, and tried it today with just the motor. Motor runs nicely with two speeds.

Attach file:

jpg  (43.07 KB)
4917_54a9750b7f45a.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (128.10 KB)
4917_54a9752bed5ab.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2015/1/4 12:15

Mark

1949 Deluxe
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
That is an aftermarket type switch and may even be 12v. I remember seeing those back in the day along with others that had a U shaped bracket with a thumbscrew and just clamped to the dash edge.

Posted on: 2015/1/4 12:23
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mark Hill
See User information
Thanks Howard. I figured it was in incorrect item.

Posted on: 2015/1/4 12:53

Mark

1949 Deluxe
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved